Dr. Ann Shippy is a powerhouse on a very important mission to help people across the world live their healthiest lives using cutting-edge science, really specific research, and genetic information to treat the root causes of disease. She left engineering to attend the University of Texas medical school and is now board-certified in internal medicine and a certified functional medicine physician with a practice in Austin, Texas. If you live there, I cannot recommend her highly enough.
While there are so many topics I would love to talk to Dr. Ann about, today we’re focusing on her personal story that got her into medicine in the first place. Ann noticed a significant decline in health despite a healthy lifestyle, and after much trial and tribulation traced it back to mold in her home. Now that she’s better, we go really deep into her hard-won expertise on mold exposure, mycotoxins, and what you can do if you suspect mold problems in your home.
Episode Highlights With Ann Shippy
- How Ann discovered mold sickness was crippling her health
- Which mold tests work, which tests don’t, and how to interpret the results
- The types of mold (stachybotrys, chaetomium, wallemia, ochratoxin, penicillium, etc.) and why they’re not all the same
- Sources of mycotoxins, what they are, and how they can damage DNA
- The difference between mold and mildew
- How to choose a good mold inspector
- Why a musty smell isn’t the only indicator of mold
- Special precautions to take around children or the elderly
- Suspect places in your home or hotel where mold might be growing
- Ann’s take on fasting, sweating, supplements, and other natural ways to support the body’s natural detoxification
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Mold Toxicity Workbook: Assess Your Environment & Create a Recovery Plan by Ann Shippy
- Shippy Paleo Essentials: A Medical Blueprint for Health by Ann Shippy
- Mold Handout/Fact Sheet
- Real Time Lab Mold Testing
- Great Plains Lab Mold Testing
- Bulletproof Coffee
- The Longevity Diet by Dr. Valter Longo
- A Wrinkle in Time
- Tales of Wonder
More From Wellness Mama
- 255: Dr. Valter Longo on a Fasting Mimicking Diet and Increasing Healthspan
- Water Fasting Benefits, Dangers & My Personal Experience
- 8 Sauna Benefits for Body and Mind
- The Master Antioxidant: Glutathione
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Wellnesse, a new company I co-founded to create safe, natural and obsessively tested products for families. You’ve heard that much of what you put on your body gets absorbed and goes into your body. We turned this idea on its head, creating products that aren’t just safe to put on your hair, skin and in your mouth, but that are beneficial. We started with the toughest first, creating the first of its kind natural toothpaste that is free of fluoride and glycerin and that contains ingredients like green tea, neem and hydroxyapatite to support the mouth. Our haircare is free of harmful ingredients and contains ingredients like lavender and nettle to support healthy hair! Be the first to try it at Wellnesse.com
This episode is sponsored by Four Sigmatic, the reason I’m on shrooms (the legal kind) every day. They make a wide variety of superfood mushroom infused products from coffees and teas to exixers and even chocolate that is infused with ten mushrooms! I have a shelf in my pantry just for Four Sigmatic products and keep pretty much off of them on hand. Some current favorites… my kids love the reishi infused cocoa, and I love that it helps them sleep! I also really enjoy their 10 mushroom blend which contains all of my favorites like chaga, cordycepts, reishi and even meshima. I add this to coffee, tea, or smoothies to get a daily dose of shrooms. As a listener of this podcast, you can save 15% by going to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and using the code “wellnessmama”