Chris Masterjohn is one of those people you never want to stop talking to, so although he’s been on the podcast before, my list of questions for him might be longer than the first time! Chris Masterjohn holds a PhD in Nutritional Sciences from the University of Connecticut and his understanding of the intricate relationship between diet, genetics, and other important health factors is astounding.
Today Chris and I will tackle some female-focused questions and look at how nutrients play a role in hormone balance, menstrual cycles, PCOS, sex hormones, and more.
Also, don’t forget to check out Chris’s Nutrition 101 course below as well as his “Ultimate Cheat Sheet” for testing nutritional status. This is a great place to start understanding your own nutrient deficiencies and how to correct them.
Episode Highlights on Targeted Nutrition
- One small change that may fix hormonal acne and teenage acne
- The surprising thing you probably don’t know about calcium that may be hurting you
- A few universal nutrition principles that apply to all of us
- The baseline things you need to know to start personalizing your diet and lifestyle
- How much protein we actually need and from what sources
- The reason processed foods are bad for your parathyroid
- How B5, cholesterol, and sex hormones play together and why you may need more B5 for this reason
- The real deal about niacin
- How to naturally increase NAD levels and why you’d want to
- A major thing to watch out for with niacin supplementation
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Vitamins and Minerals 101 Course
- Nutritional Status: The Ultimate Cheat Sheet
- Vitamin D
More From Wellness Mama
- 265: With Hormones, Normal Isn’t Always Normal With Dr. Shawn Tassone
- 292: Transformational Nutrition From the Inside Out With Cynthia Garcia
- 104: Uncovering the Root Causes of PCOS, Endometriosis, and More
- 172: How to Understand Your Genes to Personalize Your Diet With Nutrition Genome
- 91: Are IVs the Answer to Modern Nutrient Deficiencies with Dr. Craig Koniver
- 79: Using Naturopathic Medicine to Beat Hormone Imbalance & Nutrient Deficiencies
- Top 10 Signs & Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
- Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Fabletics, my go-to source for quality affordable athletic wear. This company was founded by Kate Hudson with a mission to bring trendy athletic wear to everyone at affordable prices. Here’s how it works… After taking a super quick, 60 second style quiz, you’ll receive a personalized showroom of pieces specifically catered towards your own unique style. Right now, you can get 2 leggings for only $24 ($99 value) as a VIP at fabletics.com/wellnessmama. This includes my favorite- the high waisted powerhold leggings that is flattering – even in all the places I have a little loose skin from past pregnancies. Make sure you enter your email address at the end of the quiz, as you’ll receive exclusive monthly discounts and the inside scoop about new collections that haven’t been released yet. Again, check out fabletics.com/wellnessmama and grab the deal while you can and check out my favorite powerhold leggings while they’re still in stock as styles change monthly.
This podcast is brought to you by the Kion Clean Energy Bar. We all know that finding healthy snacks for you and your kids is no simple task. Most snacks, even the so-called “healthy” ones, are high in sugar, have poor nutrient quality, and will leave you and you feeling tired or hungrier than you were before. That’s why my friends at Kion created the Kion Clean Energy Bar, a delicious, all-natural, snack that will satisfy your appetite and give you stable, long-lasting energy. My kids loves these and I love that Kion bars are made from all real-food ingredients like coconut, almonds, and chia. They have zero refined sugar. They have a lot of healthy fats and clean protein to fuel the body and brain. They are naturally gluten, dairy, and soy-free. They contain electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals. And even though they are chocolate, they won’t melt in the heat or freeze in the cold. And they have a delicious chocolatey flavor and crunchy texture that you and your kids are gonna love. You can get 15% off of the Kion Clean Energy Bar by going to getkion.com/wellnessmama and using code MAMA15 at checkout.