Listen up, because today’s episode is going to be all about hormones and how to take ownership of your own health (a topic on the minds of just a few of us moms!). I am here with Dr. Marra Francis, an OB-GYN who focuses on helping women with genetic risk for certain cancers. Dr. Marra also serves as the Executive Medical Director for EverlyWell, a company we will talk about in depth today.
In a nutshell, her mission is to educate enough physicians so that no more women have to suffer a fate with terminal cancer that could have been prevented simply by taking an accurate family history, and ordering the correct diagnostic test.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Marra of EverlyWell
- why Dr. Marra chose women’s health as her passion and focus
- her tips on running a house with six kids underfoot (I get it!)
- the ups and downs of women’s hormones (and why men don’t struggle like we do)
- what you can learn by tracking your cycle every month, and apps that help
- how EverlyWell helps connect patients to the best laboratory testing for them
- changes in the health space that are making it easier to take control of your health
- and more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 15: Hormones & How to Have a Healthy Baby
- 80: What Your Monthly Cycle Reveals About Your Hormones With Alisa Vitti
- 108: Why the Birth Control Pill Screws Up Hormones & What to Use Instead
- My Home Organization System & How I “Get It All Done”
- Why You Should Never Eat Vegetable Oil or Margarine
- 9 Tips to Help Balance Hormones Naturally
- Lab Tests You Can Order From Home (Without A Doctor)
Have you had trouble getting the right lab testing in your area? Could you use a service like EverlyWell? I’d also appreciate it if you would please take two minutes to leave a review on iTunes. I value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well!
Many Thanks to Our Podcast Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by SteadyMD, my personalized Primary Care doctor online. SteadyMD is awesome because it partners you with a doctor who really gets to know you, who listens to you, who has time for you, and who knows your whole medical history and your health philosophy. It’s designated for anyone who wants a primary care doctor that they can have access to anytime they need them. Their physicians see a very limited number of patients so that way they have time and you can call, text or video chat any time with a doctor who is aligned with your life and is focused on you and helping you achieve your goals. Some of their doctors are trained in functional medicine and integrative medicine. Others have expertise in thyroid, or diabetes or work with athletes. I love SteadyMD because now with their new pediatric add on, I can reach out anytime I have a question about my health or one of my kids health and get an answer without having to go to urgent care of sit in a doctors office with all of my kids. They can prescribe medication, run labs and tests and needed and take a proactive approach to your health because they have enough time to really go deep and care about you. Their awesome docs can only take a limited number of patients, so check them out and learn more at steadymd.com/wm.
This episode is brought to you by Perfect Keto. I have heard from a lot of you who are trying the keto diet right now. And Perfect Keto has several products that make it so much easier and tastier. They have keto-friendly sports drinks with zero additives, zero carbs, and only high-quality ingredients. And I’ve gotten so many questions about this. They also have exogenous ketones that raise blood ketone levels up to 1.5 millimoles per liter. So that would be simulating a fast. A lot of people use these exogenous ketones to increase mental performance, and energy production, and fat burning without the need to do extended fasting. And Perfect Keto really just helps make ketosis available to everyone, everywhere, all the time without the need to do extended fasting, like I said. You can check out these and all of their other products at perfectketo.com/healthymoms. And if you use the code HEALTHYMOMS, all uppercase, you can save 20% on any order.