My favorite part of the podcast is sitting down with some of the people I admire the most, and today’s guest is no exception! Dr. Amy Shah is a double board-certified medical doctor specializing in allergy and immunology, as well as hormones and gut health. She’s also a mom of two, so the title of her newest book won’t surprise you: I’m So Effing Tired: A Proven Plan to Beat Burnout, Boost Your Energy, and Reclaim Your Life.
I love this book (and its title!), so I invited Dr. Amy back to share all of her best strategies geared especially for moms. Let me know in the comments what you think!
Episode Highlights: I’m So Effing Tired by Dr. Amy Shah
- The big factors that you can tweak slightly to drastically affect your biology and body composition
- Why fasting is great for women and how to do it the right way
- Some small changes that have a big impact on energy
- How to maximize exercise effectiveness as a woman
- What “the four S’s” are and how to use them to your advantage
- A really important reason (or five) to stop eating a few hours before bed (or after dark)
- What a hormetic stressor is and how to use this to your advantage
- Ways to turn on genes (in a beneficial way) with hormetic stress
- Why burnout has risen 33% during the past year, and some active strategies to help improve this in each of our lives
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Amy Shah MD
- Dr. Amy Shah on Instagram
- I’m So Effing Tired: A Proven Plan to Beat Burnout, Boost Your Energy, and Reclaim Your Life by Dr. Amy Shah
- Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds by David Goggins
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss
- 8 Sauna Benefits for Body and Mind
- Ice Bath Benefits: How Cold Therapy Improves the Body and the Brain
- Can Intermittent Fasting (Skipping Meals) Make You Healthier?
- How to Use the Fasting Mimicking Diet to Get the Benefits of Fasting (Without Skipping Food!)
- Podcast 345: How to Use Circadian Fasting to Improve Health & Slow Aging With Dr. Amy Shah
- Podcast 233: Decoding Childhood Allergies and Letting Kids Get Dirty With Dr. Amy Shah
More From Wellness Mama
- Natural Ways to Get Better Sleep (Even If You’re a Mom!)
- Natural Ways to Help Kids Sleep
- 224: How to Use Sound and Music to Optimize Focus and Sleep With Brain.fm
- 190: The Easiest Way to Track HRV, Sleep, and Movement With Oura Ring
- 89: Why Sleep Is More Important Than Diet and Exercise Combined with Shawn Stevenson
- 58: How Knowing Your Chronotype Can Improve Your Sleep
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Four Sigmatic, my go-to source for functional mushrooms like Lion’s Mane, chaga, cordyceps and more. Recently, I’ve really been enjoying their protein powder… it has 18g of pure plant proteins, 7 functional mushrooms and adaptogens, the realest organic vanilla, and not a single grain, gum, or gram of stevia. I love adding the vanilla to a smoothie with some berries for an easy meal (and my kids love it too). The Peanut Butter blended with some cacao and macadamia milk makes a great protein-packed afternoon pick me up. If you haven’t tried Four Sigmatic, I also love their lion’s mane coffee in the morning and reishi packets at night! Go to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and code wellnessmama gives 10% off.
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse. We make personal care products that go above and beyond just non-toxic to actually be beneficial for you from the outside in. I realized years ago that even some of my most naturally minded friends and family members who made an effort to eat organic food and be really cognizant of what they brought into their homes were still using certain personal care products, mainly hair care and oral care. And the reason was, they weren’t willing to sacrifice how they looked and felt just to use natural products. And none of the natural products they were finding really lived up to the conventional products as far as how effective they were. So, I resolved to change this and realized I had things that I’ve been making in my kitchen for years that worked just as well and that I could share with other families, and thus Wellnesse was born. You’ve probably heard that what goes on our body gets into our body and that many of the chemicals we encounter end up in our bloodstream. To me, this means non-toxic and safe should be the absolute bare minimum baseline for any products that are in our lives. But I wanted to take it a step further. I wanted it to use this to our advantage to actually put beneficial ingredients in our hair care, toothpaste, personal care products so that we could benefit our body from the outside in. Our hair care is packed with ingredients like nettle, which helps hair get thicker over time. Our dry shampoo has scalp promoting products that really help follicles stay strong. And our toothpaste, for instance, has a naturally occurring mineral called hydroxyapatite, which is the exact formulation or exact mineral that’s on our teeth that’s present in strong enamel. So they’re all designed to work with the body, not against it to help you have stronger, healthier hair and teeth. We now have a hand sanitizer that doesn’t dry out your hands like many hand sanitizers do. I would be honored if you would check it out and I would love to hear your feedback. You can find all of our products at wellnesse.com.