I’m here with someone I deeply admire and I’m incredibly grateful for. Dr. Alan Christianson is a naturopathic endocrinologist who focuses on thyroid function and specifically Hashimoto’s (which I had) as well as hypothyroidism and Graves’ disease.
Dr. Christianson was actually the first doctor to diagnose me (correctly) and guide me to my recovery. He’s also done this for thousands of people in his years of practice.
In this episode, we go deep on, of course, thyroid health, but also things like iodine, weight loss, and some confounding factors that aren’t always considered when it comes to thyroid.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Alan Christianson
- Specific resources to help with thyroid disease
- Some important reasons to consider avoiding iodine with thyroid disease
- Why you likely need less iodine, not more, if you have thyroid disease (this was an important factor for me)
- The hidden source of iodine you’ve probably never considered
- How to know if you’re putting iodine on your skin without knowing it
- What to know about selenium intake and how to get enough without getting too much
- The labs to know to look at for thyroid health
- One lab that confirms the presence of thyroid disease
- The two products you should consider avoiding for thyroid health
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Connect with Dr. Alan Christianson
- Books by Dr. Alan Christianson
- Maldon Celtic Salt (regular and smoked)
More From Wellness Mama
- 409: The Thyroid Reset Diet to Resolve Thyroid Problems With Dr. Alan Christianson
- 325: Hashimoto’s Update: How I Got to Remission & What I Do to Maintain
- 242: Fighting Thyroid Disease With Food & Recipes for Thyroid Health From Dr. Izabella Wentz
- 118: An At-Home Approach to Balancing Thyroid Hormones with McCall McPherson
- 97: OB & Midwife Aviva Romm on PPD, Thyroid Problems, & MTHFR
- Hypothyroidism 101: How to Boost an Underactive Thyroid Naturally
- How to Know If You Have Hashimoto’s Disease (& What to Do)
- When Iodine Might Be Bad For Your Thyroid
Do you have questions about thyroid health? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Hiya chewable kids vitamins. It’s a new company I found that my kids are extremely excited about. Do you know that most typical children’s vitamins are essentially just candy in disguise? Many have as much as two teaspoons of sugar, along with some food dyes, some other unhealthy chemicals, or gummy junk that kids should probably never eat as a dentist would probably agree with. Hiya is the complete opposite. It fills the most common gaps in children’s diets with full-body nourishment and a yummy taste they love without any of that junk. While most children’s vitamins might contain as much as 5 grams of sugar, it can cause a variety of health issues. Hiya has created a zero sugar, zero gummy, junk-free vitamin that tastes great, and as my kids will attest, is delicious. It’s perfect even for picky eaters. Also importantly, it’s manufactured in the U.S. with globally sourced ingredients, each selected and screened for optimal bioavailability and absorption. What’s cool is they send us to your door on the pediatrician recommended schedule. And the first month, you get a reusable glass bottle, that you can personalize with stickers. So every month thereafter, they send a no plastic refill pouch, which means it isn’t just good for your kids, it’s also good for the environment, and it reduces waste. My kids love the little glass jar that the vitamins are in and I love how it’s low waste. You can find out all about them, and their sourcing, and the many benefits by going to hiyahealth.com/wellnessmama
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that is based on the recipes I’ve been making at home in my kitchen for decades. Many “clean” products simply don’t work and this is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but contain ingredients that work better than their conventional alternatives and that nourish your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to finally share these products with you and wanted to tell you about our brand new dry shampoo! It can be used various ways. You can sprinkle it in clean hair to add volume and to extend time between washes, sprinkle it in hair that has not been washed in a day or two to absorb oil or sweat and you can work in to color treated hair to maintain color-treated hair by not having to wash as often. It contains oil-absorbing kaolin clay and volume-boosting tapioca which work together to refresh hair at the roots. Lavender oil and cactus flower help to balance scalp and strands’ natural pH. We even added hibiscus for healthy hair growth. You can check it out and try it at wellnesse.com and my tip is to grab a bundle to save or subscribe and save as well!