Today’s interview is about a topic I have researched and loved for years. I think it’s firmly established by this point that I’m a bit of a geek when it comes to health, and no subject makes my heart flutter more than dental health.
Yep, see … geek!
Dr. Steven Lin with the Dental Diet Prescription …
Finding new ways to take care of my teeth and prevent cavities was one of my earliest experiments on the road to healthy living and the results convinced me of the power of a real food diet.
I’m here today with Dr. Steven Lin who is a board-certified preventative dentist. He trained at USYD with a background in biomedical science, and he’s a passionate whole-health advocate, focusing on the link between nutrition and dental health.
There’s more to tooth decay than sugar, brushing, or flossing … here’s why!
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- reasons why sugar isn’t the real culprit in tooth decay … and what is actually to blame
- why you can still get cavities even if you brush and floss
- how important fat-soluble vitamins are for oral health
- why the oral microbiome matters (and how to protect it)
- how each tooth is part of the immune system (and why teething is an immune event)
- why the work of Weston A. Price is so important, and what it tells us about oral health
- what “activator x” is and why we need it
- the simple 5-step way to check to see if your child is at risk for braces (and a better alternative)
- how to help someone with large tonsils, breathing trouble, or sleep apnea (yes it has to do with teeth!)
- tips to find a dentist who specializes in functional dentistry
Resources We Mention
Follow Dr. Steven Lin at Dr.StevenLin.com
- The Dental Diet: The Surprising Link Between Your Teeth, Real Food, and Life-Changing Natural Health by Dr. Steven Lin
- Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price
- The Weston A. Price Foundation
- Xclear rinse (works better than saline)
- Vivos (the devices we use with our kids to avoid braces and improve airway flow)
- vitamin D
- vitamin K
- sesame oil or coconut oil chews (for oil pulling)
- Kettle & Fire bone broth
Related Episodes & Reading
Brace yourself, I have a few posts on teeth 🙂
- Is Fat Healthy to Eat? (Guide to Fats)
- The Harmful Effects of Sugar on the Body
- 14: Stop the Sugar Madness (My Rant on Sugar)
- 19: The REAL Causes of Tooth Decay
- 28: Can Cavities Remineralize?
- How to Brush Your Teeth Correctly
- 4 Unusual Ways to Boost Oral Health
- How to Remineralize Teeth Naturally
- Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe
- 3 Step Approach for Healthy Teeth without Flossing
- Does Coconut Oil Pulling Work?
- The Oral Health Routine That Stopped My Cavities
- How to Whiten Teeth with Charcoal
- Is Vegetable Oil Healthy?
- How to Make Homemade Bone Broth
- 70: All Bone Broth Is Not Created Equal
- Vitamin K Uses and Benefits
Are you feeling inspired to find a new way to take care of your teeth? What questions would you ask Dr. Lin about the Dental Diet?
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by My Green Mattress. If you’ve been reading Wellness Mama, you know that I have used and recommended natural and organic mattresses for years. I’ve tried a lot of natural options and I love all the ones that we’ve tried. But I’ve been getting a lot of requests for a more budget-friendly option that is good for kids. Which is why when our littlest needed a bigger mattress, we ordered one from My Green Mattress. They are GOT and GOLS certified, they are GREENGUARD certified and they’re completely natural. They’re also much less expensive than a lot of natural mattresses. Check them out and find out more at wellnessmama.com/go/green-mattress.
This episode is also brought you to by Joovv red light therapy. This light has become an integral part of my daily routine and here’s why. Joovv lights increase ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate Production) through specific red light wavelengths. This is a big deal since ATP is responsible not just for energy, but pretty much everything that happens in your body. Also known as photobiomodulation, this well documented therapy benefits skin health, energy levels, recovery after injury or surgery, and thyroid health (which is what I’m using it for). Bonus: It’s also anti-aging since it increases collagen production and hair growth and reduces hair loss. You can check it out at wellnessmama.com/go/joovv.