As women and moms, I’m not sure we can ever get enough information about our hormones and how they work. Today I’m here with Angelique Panagos, a registered nutritional therapist and the author of a book I read recently called The Balance Plan. It stood out to me as a life-changing book and a message you all would want to hear.
Angelique specializes in hormone health, stress management, weight management, and digestive wellness. I love her philosophy that food affects every cell in our bodies (even our thoughts!) and I can’t wait to dive in deep in this conversation today.
Episode Highlights: How to Make a Hormone Balance Plan
- the incredible effect stress has on hormones, weight, mood, and overall health
- best foods to eat for hormone balance (and the foods that trip us up)
- what gaining weight around the middle tells you about your health
- how technology is separating us from true community
- why sugar is a hormone deregulator and how to kick the habit
- whether keto is good for hormones (and women in general)
- important information periods tell us about our health
- what to do if you get a PCOS or endometriosis diagnosis
- and more!
Resources We Mention
- The Balance Plan: 6 Steps to Optimize Your Hormonal Health by Angelique Panagos
- Vegetable spiralizer
- Blue-light blocking glasses
- Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers by Robert Sapolsky
Angelique Panagos Quotables
“We’re going to beds with our iPads, our laptops, our devices instead of our partners and we’re staring at this blue light and that in itself is having a negative effect on hormonal health and on our cortisol balance again, so that stress hormone balance. If we start looking at all these different factors, throw in the lack of movement and lack of exercise as well, what it’s creating is this perfect storm, this perfect hormonal storm.”
“Your genes load the gun, but the environment pulls the trigger.”
More From Wellness Mama
- 79: Using Naturopathic Medicine to Beat Hormone Imbalance & Nutrient Deficiencies
- 80: What Your Monthly Cycle Reveals About Your Hormones With Alisa Vitti
- 89: Why Sleep Is More Important Than Diet and Exercise Combined with Shawn Stevenson
- 90: A Mind Of Your Own: Tackling Mental Illness and Fixing Hormones with Dr. Kelly Brogan
- 108: Why the Birth Control Pill Screws Up Hormones & What to Use Instead
- 190: The Easiest Way to Track HRV, Sleep, and Movement With Oura Ring
- 192: How to Avoid Rushing Woman Syndrome and Balance Hormones With Dr. Sonya Jensen
- Why I Wear Blue Light Blocking Glasses (at Night)
- 9 Lessons We Can Learn From Europe (Food, Wine & Sleep)
- The Importance of Balancing Stress Hormones
- How I Reduced My Cortisol Levels Naturally With Food & Light
Did you enjoy this episode? What other questions do you have about hormones? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Joovv, the only red-light therapy I have and use every day. So red-light therapy, also called photobiomodulation, is supported by a robust amount of clinical literature. And it’s said to help with everything from enhanced muscle recovery to reduced joint pain. I have personally been using the Joovv and I’ve seen noticeable improvement sin my skin health and thyroid function, which is another thing it’s clinically studied to help with. It also helps prevent hair loss, including after when my daughter was born a couple of years ago. And the Joovv light uses a unique combination of red light and near infrared light to accomplish these variety of benefits. The easiest way I can explain it is that it gives your mitochondria a jump start, so when you improve your cellular health you improve your overall health. And it’s truly one of the easiest things I can do for my health each day and it’s a part of my morning routine. Joovv is also third-party tested and FDA approved so that you know that it works. And you can check out the many benefits by going to joovv.com/wellnessmama and they’ll give you a special gift with any purchase just for being a Wellness Mama podcast listener.
This episode is brought to you by Thrive Market. If you’ve never ordered from Thrive Market, you are missing out! I’ve been involved with them and been a fan since they very first opened a few years ago and have literally saved thousands of dollars in groceries since that time by using Thrive to order a lot of our non-perishable staples in bulk! My kids love things like their Thrive Market brand plantain chips, which they often eat topped with homemade guacamole, or their grain-free granola that is great on top of some homemade yogurt for breakfast. I also love to stock up on pantry staples like spices, condiments, and bulk ingredients for baking and cooking. Just for being a Wellness Mama Podcast listener, you can get an extra 25% off your first purchase plus a free 30 day membership to try it out. Check out Thrive Market at thrivemarket.com/katie