Most of you know about my (not so fun) journey with Hashimoto’s, a challenging autoimmune disease. It’s been a long road with more questions than answers at times. I’m so fortunate to meet people like Dr. Tom O’Bryan along the way to help me understand this silent driver of so many modern diseases.
Not sure if autoimmune disease affects you? If you live a generally healthy lifestyle and still have a host of symptoms, don’t miss this episode!
Dr. Tom O’Bryan on Autoimmune Disease Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
Dr. Tom is world-renowned expert on why autoimmune disease happens and what it really is. He serves on the faculty of the Institute of Functional Medicine and brought about the first Gluten Summit, gathering 29 experts from around the world to explore the real connection between gluten sensitivity and autoimmune disease.
Tom is also the author of the incredible book The Autoimmune Fix: How to Stop the Hidden Autoimmune Damage That Keeps You Sick, Fat, and Tired Before It Turns Into Disease. In it Dr. Tom shows his talent for translating the science behind autoimmune disease in a way we can all understand.
What’s more, I love his passion for reaching the next generation with this all-important message about the root cause of so many modern diseases. Take a listen and I think you’ll agree this is best explanation you’ve ever heard about this crucial (and sometimes confusing) topic.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- the hidden reason even why people who take care of their health get diseases
- how to get to the bottom of autoimmune disease and discover what’s triggering it
- Dr. Tom’s super helpful (and entertaining) explanation of how antibodies work in the body
- how infertility led Dr. Tom to a career of helping people fight autoimmune disease
- something most people with infertility have in common
- reasons why your thyroid, brain, and other organs would attack themselves
- the most common foods sensitivities behind autoimmune disease
- how to know if gluten is really a problem for you
- whether or not it’s really possible to heal a gluten sensitivity
- the reason women get more autoimmune disease 9x more than men
- common endocrine disruptors in the environment (and easy ways to protect ourselves)
- how many pounds of wheat most of us eat each year!
- simple steps moms can take to help their kids avoid autoimmune problems
- Dr. Tom’s take on vaccination (and a key risk factor to look for)
- the chemicals in your yoga pants (what?!)
- and more!
Resources We Mention
Follow Dr. Tom O’Bryan at theDr.com
Special gift for Wellness Mama listeners: Join Dr. Tom’s membership program free for 30 days.
Do you or have you ever had symptoms of an autoimmune disease? What questions would you ask Dr. Tom given the chance? I’ll save your questions for Round 2!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by The Good Kitchen. Have you ever wished you could have delicious and healthy meals on the table in mere minutes? The Good Kitchen answers that problem. And they don’t just send you the ingredients like some delivery services. They send you fully prepared, chef-quality meals (including healthy school lunches) right to your door. They use grass-fed and pastured meats and source the best fresh produce as well. You can check them out at wellnessmama.com/go/goodkitchen.
This episode is also brought to you by Primal Kitchen. (We just have all the good kitchens today!) My friend, Mark Sisson of Mark’s Daily Apple founded it and The Primal Kitchen is now my source for some of my favorite kitchen staples. After years and years of making my own mayo, Primal Kitchen answered the need by making a store bought mayo with healthy fats. If you haven’t tried their delicious avocado oil mayo (especially the chipotle mayo!) you are seriously missing out. You can check them out at primalblueprint.com and if you use the code WELLNESSMAMA you get 10% off any order.