I’m talking with Amber Trueblood today, a licensed marriage and family therapist. Amber is also an author, speaker, and mom to 4 boys. She has years of experience working with mental health and co-founded the MECA project, which helps teens and young adults thrive both mentally and emotionally.
And our focus today is all about anxiety and overwhelm and how moms especially can overcome these for less stress. We talk specifically about her new book, The Unflustered Mom, and the 5 anxiety styles. Instead of the common advice to just breathe and meditate, Amber gets into the gritty details of why we experience anxiety in the first place.
We talk about the different anxiety types and how we can work with them to turn them into our superpowers. This is really helpful when it comes to understanding partners and our kids too. How our anxiety type interacts with theirs and why they can clash sometimes.
Amber defines overwhelm as when our actions don’t align with our values. We often think avoiding overwhelm is about removing items from our schedule, but often it’s about adding to it. And we go into true self-care habits for each anxiety style.
This was a fun conversation and I’m excited to share it with you!
Episode Highlights With Amber
- Why she dances to old school hip hop and how she got into this as a mom of four boys
- What the five anxiety styles are and why they are important
- Discovering our own superpowers and drivers
- Where your style isn’t serving you but the flip side is your superpower
- The five anxiety styles: lover, fighter, executive, visionary, and dynamo
- How she defines overwhelm and why it differs from other ways it is often defined
- The amount your actions are aligned with your values determines your level of overwhelm.
- Disconnecting the idea that busy equals overwhelmed
- How to know which style you are
- Self-care suggestions for each style
Resources We Mention
- Her website and Quiz on anxiety styles
- The Unflustered Mom: How Understanding the Five Anxiety Styles Transforms the Way We Parent, Partner, Live, and Love by Amber Trueblood
- SuperBetter: A Revolutionary Approach to Getting Stronger, Happier, Braver and More Resilient by Jane McGonigal
More From Wellness Mama
- 670: Anxiety in Kids and Breaking the Stress Cyclone With Jess Sherman
- 432: Jodi Cohen on Using Olfactory & Transdermal Methods to Calm Anxiety
- 313: The Tapping Solution to Reduce Anxiety, Stress, and Pain With Nick Ortner
- 288: Breakthrough Solutions for Anxiety, Depression and PTSD With Apollo Founder Dr. David Rabin
- 545: Mariah Sage on Enjoying Parenting and Releasing Mom Guilt Through Simple Shifts
- 315: Mindfulness for Moms With Ziva Meditation’s Emily Fletcher