Today’s episode is all about functional medicine and how we can rewire the brain and heal the body. I’m talking with Dr. Aaron Hartman, a functional medicine MD. He’s also a clinical researcher, founder of the Virginia Research Center, and has been involved in over 60 clinical studies.
Dr. Hartman’s journey into natural health really started with his daughter, who has cerebral palsy. He and his wife didn’t feel like the conventional medical advice they were given for her care made sense. So Dr. Hartman started researching and learning all he could to help his daughter. He now uses his knowledge to help his patients harness their body’s own power to heal and live a vibrant life. Whether they’re dealing with mold, Lyme, viruses, or other chronic health issues.
We talk about functional medicine practices like magnetic therapy, light therapy, and hyperbaric IVs and how they can be powerful tools. Dr. Hartman also gives his thoughts on vegetable and seed oils (hint: they’re pretty toxic!) and what fats to focus on instead. We also talk about how healthy fats are crucial to brain health, joint health, and more.
There are a lot of different directions in today’s conversation, but Dr. Hartman was fascinating to chat with. He also covers the health basics that are cheap or free and that do the most for our foundational health… crazy biohacking aside. I really enjoyed my time with Dr. Hartman today and I hope you’ll join us as we talk all things functional medicine!
Episode Highlights With Aaron
- His own amazing story with adoption and using functional medicine to help his children
- How he was able to use these techniques to help his daughter who they were told would never walk or talk or even crawl
- Fascinating therapies he learned about for his daughter that are helpful to many of his other patients
- More reasons to avoid processed foods and vegetable oils and how these foods can affect the brain
- His foundational principles of health that are important before considering more advanced methods
- The real data on omega-3 and omega-6 balance
- What happens when we consume too much omega-6 and how this affects the brain
- Why vegetable oils are partially plasticized and how these integrate into the cell membranes and hormones
- Why women actually need more protein per pound of body weight than men
- The average American is dehydrated and how this impacts health on many levels
- How trace minerals can improve health
- What peptides are and how he uses them with his children and with patients
- How peptides can tell hormones what to do
- Insulin was the first peptide we started using on a large scale
- Why being hypermobile in kids comes with a 400% increase in the chance of spectrum disorders and what to learn from this
- How the body is electric and how to support your body’s electrical system
- The science of meditation and how it physically improves health in a profound way
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Hartman – website
- Eidon trace minerals
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
More From Wellness Mama
- 566: Dr. Jeffrey Bland – The Father of Functional Medicine on Reversing Disease, Genes, and Immuno-Rejuvenation
- 293: Functional Medicine for Families and Stress Reduction With Dr. Rick Henriksen
- 631: The One About Oils and Fats – Short Episode
- 441: Dr. Robert Lustig on the Lure & the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, & Modern Medicine
- 638: Dr. Chris Masterjohn on Understanding Key Nutrients: Biotin, Sodium, Potassium, and Omega-3s
Join the Conversation...