The phrase “sleep like a baby” means something different for many new parents. I’ve had some experience helping my little ones drift off to sleep (6 different times to be exact!). One of the resources I found immensely helpful was the sleep coaching method from “The Sleep Lady,” aka Kim West.
Kim is a mom to two, a clinical social worker, and has been a family therapist for over 30 years. She’s appeared on every TV network imaginable from Dr. Phil to the Today Show. And she’s authored plenty of helpful books for the various ages and stages of parenting.
Our focus today is specifically on helping little ones sleep. Some of you may be familiar with the term “sleep training,” but Kim takes a different approach. Kim’s method helps babies and children get the skills they need to feel secure and fall asleep on their own while supporting bonding and connection with their parents. This means more peaceful nights for both baby and parents, without leaving them to cry.
We also discuss how we as parents can model the behaviors we want to help our children with. And we go into why time-outs may not be the most helpful option and what better alternatives are. Kim has been such a huge help to me as a mom and I’m excited to get to finally share her work with you today!
Episode Highlights With Kim
- How she became “The Sleep Lady”
- Her gentle approach to sleep with babies
- Why she’s concerned about some of the common advice given to parents about getting babies to sleep through the night
- A different approach than “cry it out” that helps babies sleep and enhances bonding and connection
- Her guidelines for building the foundation for a good night of sleep for baby
- A few tips that go against the common advice but help a baby learn to sleep
- The developmental stages that can disrupt sleep and how to navigate these
Resources We Mentioned
- The Sleep Lady
- The Sleep Lady’s Good Night, Sleep Tight: Gentle Proven Solutions to Help Your Child Sleep Without Leaving Them to Cry it Out by Kim West
- The Sleep Lady®’s Gentle Newborn Sleep Guide: Trusted Solutions for Getting You and Your Baby FAST to Sleep Without Leaving Them to Cry It Out by Kim West
- Good Night Sleep Tight: The Sleep Lady’s Gentle Guide to Helping Your Child Go to Sleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy by Kim West
- Boncharge lightbulbs
More From Wellness Mama
- 551: Mollie McGlocklin on Sleep Is a Skill + Chronobiology and Circadian Rhythm
- 270: Tara Youngblood on Better Sleep With ChiliPad
- 224: Dan Clark on Using Sound & Music to Optimize Focus and Sleep
- Can a Weighted Blanket Transform Your Kids’ Sleep?
- Natural Ways to Help Kids Sleep
- 6 Natural Sleep Remedies (You May Not Have Tried)
- Natural Ways to Get Better Sleep (Even If You’re a Mom!)
- How to Create a Perfect Sleep Environment