I’m chatting with Dr. Matthew Dawson today and we’re talking all about personalized, precision medicine. Matt graduated from medical school at the University of Kentucky and completed his residency in emergency medicine. Along with practicing medicine, he was also an associate professor at the University of Kentucky for 7 years.
Matt has since transitioned to developing a company called Wild Health. It’s a precision medicine service that analyzes someone’s DNA and genetics to create a custom health plan for optimal health. I know that for years I ate loads of coconut oil and saturated fats because of their health benefits. But more recently I discovered that because of my genetics, I personally do better with less saturated fats.
We talk about across the board healthy things we can all do to improve our well-being. And Matt also goes into his core pillars for optimal health, why health trends don’t work for everyone, and how to get to the bottom of what will work for you.
I had a lot of fun recording today’s episode and I hope you’ll join me and listen in as I chat with Dr. Matthew Dawson!
Episode Highlights With Matt
- What wild health is and where this concept came from
- How a return to nature is the root of good health
- What separates precision medicine from traditional medicine
- Why genetics are important but they are only about 20% of the whole picture
- The importance of light, sleep, and stress for health
- Factors we can optimize for our kids for lifelong health
- Are diseases actually preventable
- What their data says on reversing disease through lifestyle intervention
- His core pillars of optimal health and how to optimize each one
- What studies say about movement and how much we need
- Why he is also on team sardines as a superfood
- The reason to look at the calories vs nutrients equation
- His personalized non-negotiables for health
- Ways to improve sleep quality
- Science backed reasons to focus more on relationships and connection for better health
Resources We Mention
- Wild Health
- Oura Ring
- Levels – Continuous Glucose Monitor
- Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv
- The Bible (NIV)
- Awareness: Conversations with the Masters by Anthony de Mello
- The 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership: A New Paradigm for Sustainable Success by Jim Dethmer
More From Wellness Mama
- 463: Matt Dawson on Wild Health, Precision Medicine & Genomics
- 172: Alex Swanson on How to Understand Your Genes With Nutrition Genome
- 356: How to Improve Your Health Based on Genetics With Joe Cohen From SelfDecode
- 136: Dr. Jennifer Stagg on How to Unzip Your Genes to Understand Your Health
- 099: Andrea Nakayama on Using Health Tracking for Personalized Medicine
- 566: Dr. Jeffrey Bland – The Father of Functional Medicine on Reversing Disease, Genes, and Immuno-Rejuvenation
- 149: Heather Dessinger on Genetics, Personalized Medicine & Random Health Experiments
- 135: Dr. Ben Lynch on Genetic Testing, Epigenetics & Genetic Polymorphisms
- 8 Benefits of Sardines (& How to Make Them Taste Great)
Join the Conversation...