Today I’m talking with world-leading functional dentist and jaw expert Dr. Steven Lin. I’ve followed his work for a while now, and you can catch our past interview about how to reverse dental issues with diet here. He’s also the author of The Dental Diet, which I highly recommend reading.
Unlike most conventional options, Dr. Lin focuses on how to get to the root cause behind teeth and jaw issues. We talk about how we can give our kids the best jaw growth from preconception on up. And why it’s so important to overall health (not just for straight teeth!). If the teeth and jaw aren’t in the proper position, we can have issues breathing, potentially leading to sleep apnea, ADHD-like symptoms, behavioral issues, insomnia, and more.
Dr. Lin gives a very helpful breakdown of what we can do at each age and stage for our kids for optimal oral development. Plus what to do if kids are older or we discover the need to address these issues in ourselves as adults. I learned a lot from our chat today and I’m sure you will too!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Lin
- A big misconception for parents when it comes to a child’s jaw growth
- How we can help our kids grow a jaw that fits their adult teeth
- The factors that come into play with tooth decay and collapse of the jaw that leads to crooked teeth
- Dr. Weston A. Price’s work on nutrition and dental health
- Factors that make a difference in jaw structure in utero
- What to look for in your kid’s teeth and jaw development at different ages
- A mistake many parents make in introducing foods
- How cleaning the nose might be more important than cleaning the teeth early on
- Problems with mouth breathing in kids and adults and what to do about it
- What to do if you or your child can’t tolerate nasal breathing
- How to reprogram your breathing and improve tongue posture for better sleep
- Sleep connections between jaw development and nutrition
- Why overconsumption of sugar and lack of vitamin D are such a big deal in kids
- Foods to avoid for jaw health and oral health: sugars, vegetable/seed oils, processed grains, etc.
Resources We Mention
- 127: Dr. Steven Lin on How to Reverse Dental Problems Through Diet
- The Dental Diet: The Surprising Link between Your Teeth, Real Food, and Life-Changing Natural Health by Dr. Steven Lin
- Dr. Steven Lin – Website
- Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price, DDS
- Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
More From Wellness Mama
- 385: Root Canals, Wisdom Teeth, Remineralizing Teeth, and More With Dr. Kelly Blodgett
- 542: Mark Burhenne on the Oral Microbiome, Fluoride Use and How Your Mouth Can Heal Itself
- 355: What You Need to Know About Cavities, Gum Disease, and TMJ With Dr. Thomas Birkenhauer
- 573: Nadine Artemis on Natural Oral Health and the Power of Sunshine
- 003: How to Improve Your Oral Health
- 499: Dr. Meghna Dassani on Sleep Apnea and Why Healthy Sleep Is Such a Big Deal
- 494: Emily Blain on What’s Wrong With Your Personal Care Products and Creating Sustainable and Ethical Ones
- Alternatives to Braces (& What I’m Doing With My Kids)
- Benefits of Hydroxyapatite for Teeth and More
- How to Remineralize Teeth Naturally & Reverse Tooth Decay
Join the Conversation...