This episode is about one of my favorite topics, which is oral health! I’m very excited to be here with Dr. Mark Burhenne, who is the creator and author at askthedentist.com. He’s also the best-selling author of the “8-hour Sleep Paradox” and is a family and sleep medicine dentist. We get to go deep on a lot of fun topics today, including some of the big problems in current dental care modalities, the difference between functional dentistry and conventional dentistry, and why what happens in your mouth affects your whole body.
We also touch on other important areas such as how most chronic disease has a connection in the mouth, the reason that many oral health products that you might be using can actually damage the oral microbiome and lead to long-term problems and we touch on the very controversial topic of fluoride.
And then we also talk about something called hydroxyapatite, which is the main ingredient in a toothpaste I formulated that’s available at Wellnesse. We talk about the science of what makes this ingredient so unique and more beneficial than fluoride, as well as being completely safe. Dr. Mark is such a wealth of knowledge and I hope to invite him back on the podcast for more questions! I hope you enjoy!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Mark Burhenne
- Some of the big problems with dental care currently
- The difference between functional dentistry and conventional dentistry
- What the oral systemic connection is and why what happens in the mouth affects the body
- How 70+% of chronic disease has a connection in the mouth
- The reason many products actually damage the oral microbiome
- What to know about fluoride and why to avoid it (could reduce IQ by as much as 6-9 points)
- Hydroxyapatite as a biomemetic that is beneficial for teeth
- How the process of getting cavities is similar to the process of metabolic disease
- What to know about root canals, when they are suggested, if they are needed, and what to do instead
- Why brushing and flossing aren’t the only answer (and why diet is more important)
- Supplements that can help support oral health and how to support saliva
Resources We Mention
- Cavity Free Kids Guide – Code Wellnessmama will give you 30% off
- Reversing Cavities Naturally – Code Wellnessmama will give you 30% off
- Wellnesse Remineralizing Toothpaste
- Breath by James Nestor
- Dental Diet by Dr. Steven Lin
More From Wellness Mama
127: Dr. Steven Lin on How to Reverse Dental Problems Through Diet
177: Dr. Al Danenberg on Why Most Dental Health Information Is Wrong
499: Dr. Meghna Dassani on Sleep Apnea and Why Healthy Sleep Is Such a Big Deal
494: Emily Blain on What’s Wrong With Your Personal Care Products and Creating Sustainable and Ethical Ones
355: What You Need to Know About Cavities, Gum Disease, and TMJ With Dr. Thomas Birkenhauer
183: Mellisa Gallico on Fluoride and the Hidden Cause of Acne
Benefits of Hydroxyapatite for Teeth and More
How to Remineralize Teeth Naturally & Reverse Tooth Decay
How Gum Disease Affects The Whole Body
Root Canal: Dangerous or Just Misunderstood?
Is Fluoride Bad for You? Effects for Thyroid & Body
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Discussion (3 Comments)
Very interesting! Thank you for making this episode and the information available for us.
Enjoyed the episode. Wondering who the LA dentist is he was referring to earlier in the episode.
I would love to know as well!