I’m here today with Dr. Gary Kaplan who’s the founder and the medical director of the Kaplan Center for Integrative Medicine and the author of “Total Recovery,” a revolutionary new approach to breaking the cycle of pain and depression.
He’s considered a pioneer and a leader in the field of integrative medicine, and he’s one of only 19 physicians in the country to be board certified in both family medicine and pain medicine. He’s a board-certified medical acupuncturist and has worked with the National Institutes of Health to establish acupuncture as a medically effective treatment for a range of chronic health problems. He’s also studied and practiced osteopathic manipulative medicine, emergency medicine, and herbal medicine.
In response to growing numbers of his patients presenting with heavy metal toxicity, he received a certification in the science and practice of chelation. And in 1985, he created the Kaplan Medical Center to offer patients suffering with chronic pain and illness a more effective model of care.
He has a new book called “Why We Are Still Sick” and we talk a lot about that today, about bringing on fire, how we get sick, and why we stay sick. We go deep on the immune system, autoimmune disease and what contributes to chronic immune system dysregulation. We go deep on different causes and solutions, things to avoid, and things to try. And we go touch on diet and sleep, water hydration, fasting, testing, what to look for, and if you’re not getting results or you’re not getting a diagnosis, some of the reasons that might be the case. So lots of directions in this one that is filled with great information!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Gary Kaplan
- What’s happening in the immune system with autoimmune disease
- The things that contribute to this immune system dysregulation
- Why not addressing the underlying issues with the immune system makes recovery difficult or impossible
- The lesser known causes that can contribute to immune system issues
- Mold, mercury, lead and other toxins we can encounter without realizing it
- Safe sources of seafood
- The new class of autoimmunity and how it is connected to inflammation in the brain
- How this connects to anxiety, depression, PANS/PANDAS, etc
- Why exercise is the best anti-inflammatory we have for the brain
- 10,000 steps is not based on science, but what the data actually suggests
- How to dial in diet and sleep
- The real deal about water and hydration
- His research about fasting and what he recommends
- The biggest mistake we’ve made in modern medicine
- How to advocate for yourself and get a correct diagnosis
- Why meditation, sleep, and exercise are daily non-negotiables for him
- His favorite supplements: probiotics, fish oils, Vitamin D
Resources We Mention
- WHY YOU ARE STILL SICK: How infections can break your immune system & How you can recover by Gary Kaplan
- Dirty Dozen
- Dirty Dozen Seafood List
More From Wellness Mama
- 392: Understanding Genetics vs Epigenetics: How Genes Work Like Dominos and What Yours Are Telling You With Dr. Lynch of StrateGene
- 135: Dr. Ben Lynch on Genetic Testing, Epigenetics & Genetic Polymorphisms
- 566: Dr. Jeffrey Bland – The Father of Functional Medicine on Reversing Disease, Genes, and Immuno-Rejuvenation
- 467: Dr. Tim Jackson on Mold Toxicity, Testing, and Remediation
- 306: Dangers of Mold Exposure & How to Protect Yourself From Mold Toxicity With Ann Shippy MD
- 204: Dr. Guillermo Ruiz on Thriving with Autoimmune Disease
- 505: Dr. Michael Ruscio on Gut Health, Autoimmunity, Thyroid, and Sleep
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Join the Conversation...