I’m here with Dr. Will Bulsiewicz (also known as Dr. B) and this episode goes deep on gut health, fiber deficiency, food intolerances, FODMAPs, histamine, and so much more. Dr. B is an award-winning gastroenterologist and internationally recognized gut health expert and he has helped thousands of people to help reverse their food intolerances and resolve gut issues.
In this episode, we talk a lot about food intolerance versus allergies versus aversions, what causes food intolerances, how to reverse them, the most common allergen foods, how to pinpoint foods that you might be intolerant to, and his temporary elimination strategy. He talks about what FODMAPs are, how to retrain your gut, and why the gut can start adapting in as little as one day when you make dietary changes, why 19 out of 20 people are fiber deficient right now, and much, much more.
So much information in this episode. He has an absolute wealth of knowledge. And without any further wait, let’s join Dr. B.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Will Bulsiewicz
- What inspired him to get into gut health and why he advocates for more fiber from a variety of sources
- Food intolerance vs food allergies vs food aversions
- What causes food intolerance and how to reverse them
- Most common allergen foods: soy, wheat, dairy, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, and corn
- Why food intolerance doesn’t involve the immune system and what it is instead
- How to pinpoint foods you might be intolerant to
- His (temporary) elimination strategy for accurately identifying intolerances
- GROWTH method for figuring out which foods are causing trouble
- What FODMAPs are and why it is worth avoiding them for a time if you are having food issues
- Symptoms of histamine intolerance (including some you might not know)
- How to retrain your gut
- Why the diet you eat today can shift your gut microbes by tomorrow and how diet can rapidly improve with dietary changes
- His framework for timing and reintroducing foods after an elimination diet
- The importance of fiber (and a new definition that is important to understand)
- Why fiber is food for your gut microbiome
- 19 out of 20 people are deficient in fiber right now
- Surprising sources of fiber: mushrooms, omega 3 seeds like chia flax and hemp, fruit, fermented foods, and sea vegetables
- His recommended supplements
- The deal with glutamine
- Why diversity within diet is so important for gut health
Resources We Mention
- Fiber Fueled: The Plant-Based Gut Health Program for Losing Weight, Restoring Your Health, and Optimizing Your Microbiome by Will Bulsiewicz MD
- The Fiber Fueled Cookbook: Inspiring Plant-Based Recipes to Turbocharge Your Health by Will Bulsiewicz MD
- Will Bulsiewicz MD – Website
- Will Bulsiewicz MD – Instagram
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
- How to Grow Broccoli Sprouts (& Why We All Should)
- Sulforaphane Benefits: How It Slows Aging, Fights Cancer & More
More From Wellness Mama
- 213: Dr. Katie Marks-Cogan on Allergy Prevention & With Ready, Set, Food!
- 404: Understanding Mast Cell Activation and Histamine Intolerance With Dr. Beth O’Hara
- 484: Steve Wright on Tributyrin Breakthrough Molecule for Microbiome, Histamine and Leaky Gut
- 505: Dr. Michael Ruscio on Gut Health, Autoimmunity, Thyroid, and Sleep
- Why Childhood Food Allergies Are on the Rise (& What to Do)
- How to Start an Elimination Diet
- What Is Histamine Intolerance?
- FODMAP and IBS – A Scientific Solution
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom Benefits for Cognition, Memory & More
- Cordyceps Mushrooms Benefits for Anti-Aging, Endurance & Balance
- Reishi Mushroom Benefits for Immunity, Longevity & More
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Join the Conversation...