I’m here with Dr. Will Bulsiewicz (also known as Dr. B) and this episode goes deep on gut health, fiber deficiency, food intolerances, FODMAPs, histamine, and so much more. Dr. B is an award-winning gastroenterologist and internationally recognized gut health expert and he has helped thousands of people to help reverse their food intolerances and resolve gut issues.
In this episode, we talk a lot about food intolerance versus allergies versus aversions, what causes food intolerances, how to reverse them, the most common allergen foods, how to pinpoint foods that you might be intolerant to, and his temporary elimination strategy. He talks about what FODMAPs are, how to retrain your gut, and why the gut can start adapting in as little as one day when you make dietary changes, why 19 out of 20 people are fiber deficient right now, and much, much more.
So much information in this episode. He has an absolute wealth of knowledge. And without any further wait, let’s join Dr. B.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Will Bulsiewicz
- What inspired him to get into gut health and why he advocates for more fiber from a variety of sources
- Food intolerance vs food allergies vs food aversions
- What causes food intolerance and how to reverse them
- Most common allergen foods: soy, wheat, dairy, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, and corn
- Why food intolerance doesn’t involve the immune system and what it is instead
- How to pinpoint foods you might be intolerant to
- His (temporary) elimination strategy for accurately identifying intolerances
- GROWTH method for figuring out which foods are causing trouble
- What FODMAPs are and why it is worth avoiding them for a time if you are having food issues
- Symptoms of histamine intolerance (including some you might not know)
- How to retrain your gut
- Why the diet you eat today can shift your gut microbes by tomorrow and how diet can rapidly improve with dietary changes
- His framework for timing and reintroducing foods after an elimination diet
- The importance of fiber (and a new definition that is important to understand)
- Why fiber is food for your gut microbiome
- 19 out of 20 people are deficient in fiber right now
- Surprising sources of fiber: mushrooms, omega 3 seeds like chia flax and hemp, fruit, fermented foods, and sea vegetables
- His recommended supplements
- The deal with glutamine
- Why diversity within diet is so important for gut health
Resources We Mention
- Fiber Fueled: The Plant-Based Gut Health Program for Losing Weight, Restoring Your Health, and Optimizing Your Microbiome by Will Bulsiewicz MD
- The Fiber Fueled Cookbook: Inspiring Plant-Based Recipes to Turbocharge Your Health by Will Bulsiewicz MD
- Will Bulsiewicz MD – Website
- Will Bulsiewicz MD – Instagram
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
- How to Grow Broccoli Sprouts (& Why We All Should)
- Sulforaphane Benefits: How It Slows Aging, Fights Cancer & More
More From Wellness Mama
- 213: Dr. Katie Marks-Cogan on Allergy Prevention & With Ready, Set, Food!
- 404: Understanding Mast Cell Activation and Histamine Intolerance With Dr. Beth O’Hara
- 484: Steve Wright on Tributyrin Breakthrough Molecule for Microbiome, Histamine and Leaky Gut
- 505: Dr. Michael Ruscio on Gut Health, Autoimmunity, Thyroid, and Sleep
- Why Childhood Food Allergies Are on the Rise (& What to Do)
- How to Start an Elimination Diet
- What Is Histamine Intolerance?
- FODMAP and IBS – A Scientific Solution
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom Benefits for Cognition, Memory & More
- Cordyceps Mushrooms Benefits for Anti-Aging, Endurance & Balance
- Reishi Mushroom Benefits for Immunity, Longevity & More
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Just Thrive Health, one of my top sources for supplements. I’ve seen first hand how incredible their products are and today I’m sharing the three I use most. The first is their spore-based probiotic. Unlike many probiotics, this one is shelf stable, doesn’t have to be refrigerated, and survives all the way through the digestive system so it gets exactly where it needs to go. Because they are heat stable, I can also add these to smoothies, soups and even baked goods for my younger kids and these are the only probiotics I’ve seen a noticeable difference from using. They also have a product called IGG that helps calm the immune system and that was very helpful to me personally when I was working on recovering from my autoimmune conditions. Lastly, their new Just Calm product has been great when I’m going through some stressful times lately. It contains a proprietary “psychobiotic” strain known as BL 1714™. Psychobiotics are a new class of products with beneficial bacteria that can support your mood, cognition, and emotional health. Check out these and all of their products at justthrivehealth.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama15 to save 15%.
This episode is sponsored by Onnit. You know those times when you’re so into what you’re doing that you can’t think about anything else? The times when you’re at your most focused and productive? Psychologists call that feeling of being in the zone “flow state,” and Alpha BRAIN from Onnit is the ultimate way to get there. A world-renowned nootropic supplement with over one million bottles sold, Alpha BRAIN promotes cognitive functions, including memory, mental speed, and focus. It can help you remember names, zero in on complex tasks, and think more clearly under stress.
Alpha BRAIN contains amino acids and plant compounds that promote the brain’s release of alpha waves, which are associated with greater creativity and productivity. At the same time, it supports neurotransmitters, chemicals that relay information in and from the brain. If coffee and energy drinks make you jittery, you can rest easy knowing that Alpha BRAIN is caffeine-free. But, if for any reason you don’t like Alpha BRAIN, you can get your money back. Just give them two weeks. If at that point you don’t feel like Alpha BRAIN is a fit for you, just tell them why, and they will refund your money on the spot—no return necessary. Right now you can save up to 30% off when you go to onnit.com/wellnessmama.