I am here today with Leah Segedie, who is a repeat guest, and she helps women and moms make safer consumer choices for their families. And she is the author at mamavation.com.
And in this episode, we talk specifically about something called PFAS, which are chemicals that are found in all kinds of household products. We go deep on this today, but we talk about what they are, why they’re considered forever chemicals, how there are over 10,000 in the environment, and how they affect the body in a lot of different ways. We talk about how testing is very nuanced, and how even natural and organic products can have traces of these chemicals, how to avoid them without going crazy and so much more. It was a very, very fact-packed episode. I know I learned a lot and I hope you will too.
Episode Highlights With Leah Segedie
- What PFAS are
- Why they are called “forever chemicals”
- How there are over 10K of these chemicals in our environment
- The way PFAS affect human health as a hormone mimicker
- How PFAS exposure reduces natural testosterone production in men
- The way they can test for PFAS and why the testing is nuanced
- How even natural and organic products can have traces of these chemicals
- Why these chemicals aren’t necessarily regulated, even in foods
- Most common sources of PFAS in the home: non-stick, kitchens appliances, parchment paper, food and drinks
- Safer versions of these products
- Why PFAS are often found in household dust
- How to know if PFAS are in your makeup
- PFAS in stain proof products
- Key takeaway: Eat out less, dust more and cook from scratch
- Are there PFAS in your yoga pants (could be good news)
- What to know about PFAS in ketchup (and the surprising one that doesn’t have it)
- The at-home test that now lets us test the body for PFAS
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
527: Kale Schulte on the Chemicals You Are Encountering Daily Without Realizing It
379: Why Your Home Isn’t As Non-Toxic As You Think (& How to Fix It) With Kelly Love of Branch Basics
232: 8 Lessons I Learned From Finland
10 Toxic Ingredients to Avoid in Personal Care Products
Homemade Natural Makeup Recipes
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Join the Conversation...