Tis the season for making homemade gifts, at least at our house!
A few days ago, I had a mom’s night out at my house and we made all kinds of homemade gifts like lotion bars, vapor rub lotion bars (recipe soon!) and homemade lipstick.
The lipstick was the biggest hit and it was so much fun to create our own customized flavors, scents and colors with natural ingredients like (click on the link to see the exact brand I used):
- Coconut oil
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Butter
- Mica Powders: Red, Bronze, Rose and Pearl
- Essential Oils
We made dozens of tubes of lipstick for pennies each and they will be great gifts and stocking stuffers this year. I’m also packaging up some ingredients to give as DIY lip balm and lipstick kits to friends and family.
Homemade Lipstick Recipe
Some natural products can take time to get used to, like natural shampoo and it can be tough to find the right mixture for your hair, but homemade lipstick is completely customizable and works better than the store bought right away.
Natural Shimmer Lipstick Recipe
- In a double boiler, melt the coconut oil, shea or cocoa butter, and beeswax.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the mica powder and essential oils of choice.
- Dip a small amount onto the end of a spoon and let it harden for a few seconds.
- Test the mixture on the spoon for the desired color and scent with your finger or on the skin of your wrist to make sure you like it.
- Add more mica powder or essential oil if needed.
- Use a pipette or glass dropper to quickly transfer the mixture to the lip gloss containers or whatever container you are using.
- Let cool for 1 hour. Cap and use as needed.
What homemade beauty products have you made?