I’ve made natural alternatives to most of our household and toiletry products, but homemade shampoo was by far the toughest.
I tried the “no-poo” method, which has great results for some, but did not work on me at all (and I have some terrible Christmas pictures to prove it!). If you have coarse hair that isn’t naturally oily, this method may be great for you! I have baby-fine hair and it didn’t work for me.
I also missed the foaming aspect of shampoo (I know… the “foam” in regular shampoo is made by chemicals and detergents…)
I tried plain liquid castile soap, which left a tangled mess, and I tried a bunch of homemade recipes that didn’t work well at all.
Finally, at the inspiration of a natural coconut milk (scented) shampoo that I love, I’ve finally found a recipe that I’m happy with and that doesn’t leave my hair tangled, oily or both.
It works on kids hair too (that’s a picture of my daughter’s newly washed hair) though it isn’t tear free, so watch the eyes!
Natural Shampoo Recipe
It’s such an easy recipe that I can’t believe it took me this long to think of it…
Secret ingredient: Coconut Milk!
What You’ll Need for Homemade Shampoo
- Coconut milk (UPDATE: a couple of readers mentioned that the canned stuff did not work well for them, but that homemade coconut milk worked great… Depending on your hair type, homemade may be better for you)
- Liquid castile Soap (like Dr. Bronners)
- Essential Oils of choice (I’ve used peppermint, lavender, rosemary and orange or combinations of those)
Homemade Shampoo Recipe
- If you use a foaming dispenser, it also makes a great shaving cream.
- Some people find that a 50:50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water used as a rinse helps get hair cleaner and increases shine.
Don’t want to make it?
When I’m traveling or don’t have time to make my own, I’ve used a few organic shampoos that worked really well. My faves are:
- Wellnesse Cleansing Shampoo – I’m beyond excited to share that the recipes I’ve been making for over a decade are now available in my very own personal care line! We use only the safest EWG-rated ingredients as well as ingredients from nature with proven benefits, like nettle to strengthen and revitalize hair. There’s one for curly hair too!
- Morrocco Method Raw and Natural Organic Shampoo – this doesn’t lather like normal shampoo but it has been absolutely amazing on my hair and has helped strengthen it over time.
- Acure Organics Shampoo
Another wonderful and cost effective option is to make your own shampoo bars (like bar soap for your hair).
But… Don’t Wash Your Hair Every Day!
I can’t leave out one of my biggest healthy hair discoveries: hair is happiest when you don’t wash it every day! Read this post to find out why the experts say how you wash your hair matters just as much as what you wash it with!
Ever made your own shampoo? Gone “no-poo?” How’d it go? Share below!