Cream of mushroom soup is a common ingredient in recipes this time of year as warm dishes like slow-cooker meals, soups and casseroles (like my favorite Green Bean Casserole) become more popular with the cooler weather approaching.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Problems
Unfortunately, store bought Cream of Mushroom soup has a variety of problematic ingredients, including:
- Vegetable Oil: chemically processed, high in polyunsaturated fatty acids and potentially harmful on a cellular level
- Modified Food Starch: A highly processed starch that contains maltodextrin (often used as a name to hide the presence of MSG)
- Monosodium Glutamate: A food additive and excitotoxin that may interfere with natural neurotransmitter production
- Soy Protein Concentrate: This is why I’m not a fan of soy
- Other bad ingredients: such as Soy Lecithin, Yeast Extract and “Flavoring”
In addition, despite the “Cream” on the label, canned soup has very little actual cream. Cream is the 9th ingredient on the list, after vegetable oil, processed flour, MSG and other questionable items. And it isn’t even real cream! It is actually “Dehydrated Cream” containing milk and soy lecithin as a thickener.
Certainly, these ingredients are probably cheaper and much better for the bottom line of the companies producing processed foods, but they certainly aren’t better for us, the consumer!
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Like most foods, homemade not only tastes better, but it is typically healthier too. Cream of mushroom soup is no exception and this simple DIY version works as a substitute in recipes and is delicious on its own.
Unlike the processed canned version, it only has 10 ingredients total (including spices) and they are all real food ingredients that you can order at a grocery store (no need to contact your friendly local industrial products salesman to get the soy protein concentrate or MSG!)
I typically make several batches of this and keep in the fridge or freezer for easy meal prep at Thanksgiving or for when I get a pregnancy craving for something with mushrooms in it. 🙂
If you use cream of mushroom (or cream of anything) soup in recipes for your family, consider taking 20 extra minutes to make your own. Not only will it taste better, but you’ll feel better about the ingredients too!
- 1 pound fresh mushroom
- 1 onion
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 quart chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream, (organic)
- ½ cup sour cream, (optional)
- Chop mushrooms and onion and mince garlic.
- Melt butter in a large pan and add chopped mushrooms/onions and garlic.
- Saute until translucent and cooked.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with arrowroot.
- Add broth and simmer until it starts to thicken (about 10 minutes).
- Add cream and sour cream and stir in until smooth. To go dairy free, use heavy coconut milk instead.
- Serve as a soup or use as cream of mushroom soup in recipes.
How do you use cream of mushroom soup?