I must admit, smothered pork chops were something I had not tried before we switched to all real food eating, so I don’t technically know how they are supposed to taste. I do know that this version is really, really good, so while it may not be an exact replica of the not-so-healthy version, it is delicious!
Delicious Smothered Pork Chops!
These smothered pork chops are also a very quick meal and my husband and kids all love it. It came together in less than 30 minutes and only requires one pan to prepare! It’s faster to prepare than my roasted pork tenderloin with lemon parsley oil.
Smothered Pork Chops Recipe
- 4 TBSP butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 pork chops
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1 cup mushrooms
- ¼ cup heavy cream (or coconut cream)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp rosemary
- Heat the butter or coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the egg and water and whisk until smooth.
- On a plate, combine the almond flour with half of the salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and mix.
- Rinse each pork chop well and pat dry.
- Dip each pork chop into the egg mixture and then in the almond flour.
- Put each pork chop into the pre-heated skillet with the oil and cook about 5 minutes per side until starting to brown.
- While the pork chops are cooking, thinly slice the onions and mushrooms.
- Remove the pork chops and place them on a plate.
- Add the onions to the pan and sprinkle with remaining spices.
- Cook and stir until caramelized and browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Scoot the onions to the side and return the pork chops to the pan.
- Spread the onions on top of and between the pork chops.
- Add the heavy cream and coconut milk and cook over medium low heat for an additional 5-8 minutes until most of the milk has evaporated and the sauce has started to thicken.
- When sauce has thickened and pork chops are tender, serve each pork chop with a spoonful of the onion/mushroom sauce on top.
Do you eat pork chops? Ever tried a healthy version? Share below!
Discussion (28 Comments)
This looks delicious and I def going to try this tonight. Question, I can use cream of coconut and coconut milk instead of the heavy cream right?
I apologize I just saw above that coconut cream substitutes the heavy cream. Thanks!
I tried this tonight and it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe!
These might qualify as the BEST pork chops we’ve ever had. Thank you!!!
I made these a couple of weeks ago and they are AWESOME! I Still can’t get my daughter to touch meat, but my husband and I absolutely loved them. Im making them again tonight!
Just had these tonight and I’m still feeling the aftereffects of the meal-gasm they immediately induced. Simply. Amazing. Seriously. I used pork tenderloin because it was on sale, but I’m sure just regular pork chops cooked this way would still be amazing. This recipe is forever saved in my arsenal of yummy meals. Kudos to your creative culinary craftiness. 🙂
that really sounds good. I’ve always just made them like my mom did. dust lightly with flour, brown on both sides, top with 2 sliced onions separated into rings, cover and let cook til pork is done and onions are tender. Simple easy and pretty healthy except for the white flour which could easily be exchanged for anything. I already use coconut oil for my frying anyway. We eat with a side of brown rice and steamed broccoli. I like my broccoli with just a little sea salt and a squeeze of lemon
These look simply amazing!! I can’t wait to try this recipe!! We love pork smothered in anything! 🙂
i’m making this tonight. i’m so excited. my kids and hubby have no clue how healthy they are eating.
Where are we with the challenge? Is it over? Is it still going on? Just haven’t heard much from you about the challenge recently (but I know you’ve had some craziness going on). Thanks!
Still going on, and more info coming soon! Sorry for the lapse… I’ve been running a lot of pre-written posts while things have been so crazy here, but I’ve got more challenge stuff planned soon!
These look YUM!!!!
Oh my GOODNESS!!! That was delicious… We literally just ate them, and I had to sit down and tell you that my family loved it! <3