Zucchini sausage boats are an easy meal to put together quickly and we have several variations that we make regularly. The kids actually enjoy helping make them and they can be easily customized to your tastes by changing the spices.
These also re-heat well (we wrap in foil and store in the fridge until use) especially when re-heated in the oven. I’ve even made these ahead to serve for breakfast on busy mornings.
Stuffed Sausage Boats
An easy and fun dinner of zucchini with a meat stuffing. My kids love helping make these and I love that they are an easy and healthy meal idea!
- Wash zucchini and put into a large pot of water (do not peel, cut, or remove ends) Bring to a boil and boil for about 10 minutes until somewhat tender.
- While that is boiling, heat the oil in a large skillet and cook onion and pepper. After veggies have cooked for 5 minutes, add meat and cook until browned.
- Once zucchini are cooked, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place zucchini on large baking sheet and add the scooped out seeds to the meat and veggies mixture. Add the roasted red peppers and the egg(s) to the (somewhat cooled) meat mixture and stir well. Evenly divide the meat mixture and “stuff” it into the zucchini boats.
- Top each with a slice of cheese (optional) Bake for 25-30 minutes or until well heated and cheese starts to bubble. Enjoy!
Do you have any recipes that you like enough to eat the leftovers for breakfast? Share below!