Zucchini sausage boats are an easy meal to put together quickly and we have several variations that we make regularly. The kids actually enjoy helping make them and they can be easily customized to your tastes by changing the spices.
Zucchini filled with bell pepper, onion, and sausage, and topped with melted cheese. They’re a great meal on-the-go and also re-heat well (we wrap in foil and store in the fridge until use), especially when re-heated in the oven. I’ve even made these ahead to serve for breakfast on busy mornings.
Stuffed Sausage Boats Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash zucchini and put into a large pot of water. Do not peel, cut, or remove ends.
- Bring to a boil and boil for about 10 minutes until somewhat tender.
- While the zucchini is boiling, dice the onion and bell pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute onion and bell pepper for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground meat and cook until browned, then remove from heat.
- Once the zucchini are cooked, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Do not discard the seeds, but add them to the meat and veggie mixture.
- Place the zucchini on large baking sheet.
- Add the roasted red peppers and the eggs to the somewhat cooled meat mixture and stir well.
- Evenly divide the meat mixture among the zucchini boats.
- Top each with the shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until well heated and cheese starts to bubble. Enjoy!
Do you have any recipes that you like enough to eat the leftovers for breakfast? Share below!