When I come across a good deal on strawberries in the summer, I tend to take advantage of it. We have a lot of strawberry lovers in this house so strawberries go fast! Checking a trip to a u-pick farm off our summer bucket list is a great way to have fun and stock up. This strawberry pie recipe was developed as a special occasion summer dessert after one such trip.
Fresh Strawberry Pie Filling
This recipe is just for the filling for a strawberry pie. You’re going to need to bake a single crust pie crust first. You can use any recipe you’d like, but if you need something gluten free, try my almond flour pie crust recipe. I use it for my healthy key lime pie recipe as well.
The filling is fairly straightforward to make. It is made on the stovetop with sliced strawberries and thickened with arrowroot powder and then poured into the baked crust. I top it with additional sliced strawberries that haven’t been cooked, if you forget to hold some back (I might have done that once!) don’t worry — the pie still tastes delicious. It holds together best if it’s chilled in the fridge until serving though.
I like to top it with vanilla whipped cream or whipped coconut cream.
More Ways We Use Strawberries
Many of them get devoured plain, but we also like to use strawberries several other ways:
- Topped with vanilla whipped cream
- In smoothies like this strawberry cheesecake smoothie
- Made into strawberry fruit leather
- In salads like this chicken spring salad with goat cheese and berries or this strawberry and feta salad
- Pureed and turned into strawberry coconut milk ice cream or strawberry gelato
- In infused water
- I haven’t tried it, but the strawberry mango salsa in this list looks intriguing
Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe
- Prebake a pie crust, such as this almond flour crust.
- While crust is baking, wash the strawberries and remove the tops.
- Slice the strawberries.
- Set aside 1 cup of strawberry slices and place the rest in a medium sized saucepan.
- Sprinkle the strawberries in the pan with arrowroot powder and stir gently.
- Stir in the honey, water, and lemon juice.
- Turn on the heat to medium-low and stir and simmer until it thickens.
- Pour the filling into the baked pie crust.
- Arrange the reserved strawberry slices over the top of the pie.
- Chill before serving. Top with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream if desired.
Do you have creative ways to use strawberries that I haven’t thought of? I’d love to hear about them!