Hormones affect every aspect of health, and lately I’ve seen the affect of hormones on hair and scalp health.
After eight years of pregnancy and nursing, my body was tired and after that many years of my hormones being elevated from pregnancy/nursing, the postpartum hair loss finally occurred… and did it ever.
This happens because most hair follicles grow hair for a few months and then rest for a few months with an average of 10% of the head’s follicles resting at once. This resting period lessens considerably during pregnancy and women typically lose less hair during pregnancy, but the postpartum hormones can cause the body to catch up on the rest period for hair follicles, leading to more than normal hair loss. It is a normal process, but after 5 pregnancies and not experiencing the postpartum hair loss, it finally caught up with me.
On top of that, I had a really stressful few months and stress can make hair loss worse. I addressed the stress and the hormones and it stopped the hair loss, but I wanted to do something to help my new hair grow more quickly and to protect my hair/scalp in the summer months.
This hair growth serum is the result.
Some women go to a dermatologist or a beautician for hair-related problems. I go to my pantry.
Hair Growth Serum Recipe
This serum combines herbs and essential oils that are good for scalp health and hair growth:
- Nettle– Rich in iron and vitamins A, C and K plus potassium and magnesium. It is often used in natural hair products and helps stimulate hair growth
- Horsetail– High in silica and excellent for hair supporting hair growth.
- Aloe Vera Gel– Naturally thickens and soothes the scalp and serves as a silkening base for this serum.
- Essential Oils- Essential oils of Clary Sage, Rosemary, and Lavender are great for hair and scalp health.
Hair Growth Serum Ingredients
- 1 cup distilled water
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Nettle Leaf
- 2 Tablespoons Horsetail Leaf (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Natural Aloe Vera Gel
- 10 drops of Clary Sage Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
Hair Growth Serum Instructions
- Boil the distilled water and add the dried nettle leaf and horsetail leaf.
- Let the herbs sit in the water for at least 10 minutes or until water cools.
- Strain the herbs out and pour the herb infused liquid in to a spray bottle.
- Add the aloe vera and essential oils and shake well.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 months and shake well before us.
How to Apply Hair Growth Serum
Spray liberally on hair roots once or more per day. I found that it was easiest and worked the best to spray on before bed each night.
Where I Get Ingredients and Supplies
Have you ever had postpartum hair loss? What did you do to help it? Share below!