What would Thanksgiving (or fall!) be without something pumpkin? Whether it is a spiced pumpkin latte or pumpkin pie, the taste and scent of pumpkin is a perfect companion to cool fall weather.
I was never actually a big pumpkin pie fan in the past. In the past couple of years, I’ve fallen in love with coconut and pumpkin … and this recipe is a good combination of both. It is grain free and can be made completely dairy free as well.
A Better Pumpkin Pie
If your family considers pumpkin pie a part of the Thanksgiving feast, consider this healthier option this year! It has all the same flavors of traditional pumpkin pie, but can accommodate those who are gluten free and dairy free. This recipe also uses natural sweeteners in place of the sugar or corn syrup used in many pumpkin pies.
Give it a try!
Grain-Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan with coconut oil.
- If using whole nuts grind them in a high-powered blender until they are a floury texture.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together ground nuts or almond flour and remaining crust ingredients.
- Press into bottom and sides of pie pan and bake 10-15 minutes until barely starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, in the same bowl (no need for extra dishes!) combine all the filling ingredients except coconut milk and mix using an immersion blender or food processor. A hand-mixer will not get it as smooth! The pie filling should be smooth and spreadable, but not really pourable.
- Add a small amount of coconut milk if needed to thin slightly.
- Spoon the filling over the crust and smooth and return to oven for about an hour or until center is no longer jiggly. It will set more as it cools.
- Top with coconut cream or whipped heavy cream and some chopped pecans.
What is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert? Any other recipes you want healthy versions of? Tell me below!