One food that many people miss when they drop the unhealthy vegetable oils is Ranch Dressing. I know I did. I cringe to remember how I would put ranch dressing on almost every school lunch in high school, adding vegetable oils and processed soy to more vegetable oils and processed soy…
Now that I prefer my food to only contain ingredients I can pronounce, I needed a grown up and upgraded ranch dressing.
This easy real food ranch dressing recipe is a good substitute. It doesn’t taste exactly the same as the junk version, but has the creamy texture and same type of flavor. There are also endless variations, so mix it up!
This recipe is kid-approved at our house and simple enough that the kids can help make it. It packs a probiotic punch and is seasoned with fresh herbs and spices without a vegetable oil in sight.
If you have kids (or adults) who will eat anything with ranch dressing, try this recipe.
Also, if you’re looking for a real-food alternative to ranch dressing mix packets, check out this simple recipe that makes a great marinade, soup addition or base for a dip.
- ½ to ¾ cup Plain Full Fat Yogurt or Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp (or more to taste) of dried dill weed
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 6 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP parmesan
- Put yogurt, garlic and spices in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Very slowly, add the oil so that it emulsifies.
- Use immediately, or store up to 1 week in the fridge
Ranch Dressing Variations
- Use 2 tsp of fresh herbs like dill, mint, or basil for alternate flavors.
- Use avocado instead of yogurt if you don’t tolerate dairy.
- Use Italian Seasoning instead of dill and double the parmesan for a Caesar like dressing
What’s your best recipe for a healthy salad dressing? Share below!