Part of my mom’s family is originally from New Orleans and the times I’ve visited there, I’ve loved the flavors of cajun food and tried to recreate them at home.
For years, I bought pre-made cajun seasoning but realized it had MSG, anti-caking agents and fillers in it (including gluten!). Since I already order most of our herbs and spices in bulk, I started mixing my own and keeping it in a small mason jar in my cabinet. (Here are some of my other homemade spice blend recipes)
Though the ingredients cost slightly more on the front end since I ordered them in bulk, they were less expensive in the long run since I was able to make 4-5 times the amount of seasoning mix, and I also still had the individual herbs and spices on hand for other dishes. I ordered these ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs:
- Paprika(here’s how to make it at home)
- Himalayan Salt or sea salt
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Onion Powder (here’s how to make it at home)
- Cayenne Pepper (optional- won’t be spicy without this)(here’s how to make it at home)
- Oregano Leaf
- Thyme Leaf
Homemade Rajin' Cajun Seasoning
Homemade cajun seasoning has just the right amount of kick with flavors of garlic, onion and herbs for a versatile seasoning blend.
- Mix all ingredients in jar or food processor and store in an airtight container. Good on stir frys, eggs, casseroles, and poultry. Can add more or less Cayenne to get to your taste.
Ever tried cajun food? What is your favorite?