When we went grain free, I thought I had given up the waffle iron forever. Instead we ate a lot of variations of frittatas and breakfast casseroles or repurposed leftovers.
The waffle iron sat in our attic for a year until the kids asked if we could make waffles again. I played around with a lot of ideas and eventually came up with this recipe. It’s protein packed, grain-free, and dairy- optional.
Making Waffles with Coconut Flour
Coconut flour is a protein and fiber packed alternative to normal wheat flour. If you’ve never cooked with coconut flour before, it takes a little practice to learn to use correctly. You should definitely be made aware that coconut flour acts like a sponge. It soaks up whatever liquid it’s mixed with. For that reason, most recipes that use coconut flour call for only a small amount.
This one uses just half a cup and is whisked together with eight, yes eight, eggs. The extra eggs are needed to create the right texture with these waffles.
We really like cinnamon, so I put about a tablespoon of cinnamon in these. Feel free to reduce that amount if you’re not as crazy about the spice as I am. These coconut flour waffles really are delicious, just don’t try to eat as many of these as you could regular waffles — they are extra filling!
Use Coconut Flour Waffles for Breakfast Sandwiches!
These coconut flour waffles are fast and easy to make. That makes them ideal for busy mornings. For a fast, on-the-go breakfast, make a waffle breakfast sandwich. Cut a waffle in half and put eggs and bacon/sausage and maybe a slice of cheese inside.
Leftover waffles are also great crisped up in the toaster or on a baking sheet in the oven.
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins – made with coconut flour, they are gluten free and delicious
- Breakfast Egg Muffins – bacon curled around the edge of a muffin cup, filled with bell pepper, onion, and egg, and baked in the oven
- Breakfast Pizza – a sausage patty topped with eggs, cheese, green onion, mushrooms, and maybe a little salsa
- Coconut Chia Porridge
- Coconut Flour or Almond Flour Pancakes
- Easy Egg Wraps – I haven’t tried these yet, but I love the idea of using eggs as a wrap instead of a traditional tortilla or flatbread
- Homemade Breakfast Sausage – my not-so-secret seasoning recipe
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins – blueberries and a little lemon zest topped with a pecan topping… mmm!
Coconut Flour Waffle Recipe
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium size bowl beat the eggs with whisk or immersion blender.
- Add the melted butter or coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt and mix well.
- Add the coconut flour and mix well. The batter should be thick. If it is too thin, add a little more coconut flour.
- Spoon into preheated and greased waffle iron and cook until light brown and firm to touch.
- Serve with a pat of butter and some homemade strawberry syrup, pure maple syrup, or almond butter.
What is your favorite waffle recipe? Have you made a healthy version of an unhealthy favorite? Tell me below!