When we went grain free, I thought I had given up the waffle iron forever. In fact, it sat in our attic for a year until the kids asked if we could make waffles again. I played around with a lot of ideas and eventually came up with this protein packed recipe for grain-free, dairy- optional, coconut flour waffles that are fast and easy to make! Just don’t try to eat as many of these as you could regular waffles- they are extra filling!
These use coconut flour, a protein and fiber packed alternative to normal flour. If you’ve never used coconut flour before, it takes a little learning to use it correctly. Only ½ cup of coconut flour is needed (not a typo!), and the extra eggs are needed to create the right texture with these waffles.
For a fast, on-the-go breakfast, make a waffle, cut in half and put eggs and bacon/sausage inside to make a fast and healthy breakfast sandwich! Check out some other breakfast ideas here.
Coconut Flour Waffle Recipe
Yield 6 waffles
A protein and fiber rich waffle recipe
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium size bowl beat the eggs with whisk or immersion blender.
- Add the melted butter or coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt and mix well.
- Add the coconut flour and mix well.
- Batter should be thick. If it is too thin, add a little more coconut flour.
- Spoon into preheated and greased waffle iron and cook until light brown and firm to touch.
- Serve with a pat of butter and some homemade strawberry syrup, pure maple syrup, or almond butter.
Make a big batch of these and freeze for an easy breakfast later. To reheat, just pop them in the toaster or oven.
Serving Size 1 waffle
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 23.2 g
Saturated Fat 12.9 g
Cholesterol 259 mg
Sodium 385 mg
Total Carbohydrates 14.8 g
Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 10.3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
What is your favorite waffle recipe? Have you made a healthy version of an unhealthy favorite? Tell me below!