One of my favorite recipes for busy days when I don’t have time to cook in the afternoon is chuck roast. These roasts have a good fat profile and awesome flavor. Roast served with salad and broccoli is a regular meal around here and the kids love it.
Why a Chuck Roast?
With five kids, a business to run and a house to clean, I don’t always have hours to spend in the kitchen each day. Crock pot meals are my solution to this. A simple roast can be thrown in the slow cooker while I’m making breakfast and be ready for dinner so I don’t have to spend time cooking it.
I often make recipes like this on days when we have gymnastics or jujutsu in the afternoon and I need to have food ready when we get home.
Easy Chuck Roast Recipe
Yield 6 +
An easy and delicious slow-cooker roast recipe.
- Marinate in spices at least 10 minutes, though several hours is better.
- Brown meat on all sides in a skillet on medium-high heat to lock in juices. (optional step that enhances flavor)
- Place roast along with sliced onions and 1-1.5 cups of water or beef broth in a crock pot or roasting pan. Cover tightly.
- After two hours, rough chop carrots and sweet potatoes and add to crock pot. They can be added at the beginning but they will be much softer at the end.
- Cook for 5-7 hours in crock pot or 3-4 hours in the oven.
- Let sit 10 minutes before cutting. Slice against the grain.
What’s your favorite way to cook roast? Share below!