On vacation this year, we ate at a great seafood restaurant that had fish tacos on the menu. I’d never had fish tacos and they sounded great, but I wanted to avoid the tortilla so I asked if they could convert it in to a salad. They did so and the resulting fish taco salad was delicious!
Once we got home, I decided to re-create that salad and it is now a lunch favorite. There are endless variations to this recipe and you can customize it to fit your taste. As with anything containing seafood, make sure to source from wild-caught and sustainable sources whenever possible. (I get mine from here when I can).
If you don’t want baked fish in this recipe, you could also use my homemade fish sticks and wrap in lettuce leaves for real “tacos”
Fish Taco Salad
Yield 3 -4
This simple fish taco salad recipe combines all the delicious ingredients of fish tacos with the extra nutrients of a salad for a delicious and healthy meal.
- 4-6 handfulls of lettuce or salad greens of choice (about 8 ounces)
- 1 pound fish of choice- I use cod or halibut (from here)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter - for cooking
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper (about 1/2 tsp each)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup homemade sauerkraut or fermented beets
- 1/2 of a red or sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 limes (organic)
- 1 orange (organic)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- sliced avocado or guacamole for garnish (optional)
- salsa for garnish (optional)
- sour cream for garnish (optional)
- hot sauce for garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter or coconut oil in a skillet.
- Sprinkle fish with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and garlic cloves, making sure that both sides are well-spiced.
- Add fish to skillet and cook until flaky and white through the middle.
- When fish is finished cooking, remove from heat, zest orange and lime over fish and squeeze the juice of one lime over the fish.
- Drizzle with the honey or maple syrup and let sit.
- To serve: Top a bed of lettuce with desired amount of sauerkraut/beets, onion, cilantro, tomatoes, guacamole, and fish.
- Squeeze juice of orange and lime over salads and top with any additional toppings.
Have you ever had a fish taco salad? How would you customize this recipe?