I always look forward to springtime, as the warm weather, gardening season, and fresh produce make me happy and get us out of doors. Though I garden each year, I don’t have the greenest of green thumbs and typically end up with a lot of easy-to-grow veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, and zucchini or yellow squash.
Delicious and versatile zucchini and yellow squash are a great addition to a stir fry and can be made into delicious vegetable noodles with the help of a spiralizer. There is an even more simple way to use them and a favorite with my kids …
Grilled Yellow Squash Recipe
One of my favorite ways to prepare these nutritious summer squashes is simply seasoned and grilled. This cooks them quickly (in about 10 minutes) and provides great flavor while keeping them from getting mushy. In fact, nights that we cook on the grill are my favorite since my husband handles the cooking and there are typically fewer dishes as well.
Grilled yellow squash goes well with any grilled meat and is a simple way to complete a meal entirely on the grill. Often on summer nights, we will just grill some meat and yellow squash or zucchini and serve a salad. This meal can be made in about half an hour and is a great excuse to spend some time outside.
Grilled Yellow Squash Recipe
Yield 6 +
A delicious and simple way to prepare yellow squash or zucchini during the warm summer months.
- Heat the grill to medium heat.
- Cut ends off yellow squash and cut into ½ inch thick vertical slices.
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and curry powder.
- Brush onto the slices of squash.
- Grill for 5 minutes per side until just starting to soften and slightly blackened on the grill lines.
If you're not a fan of curry powder, or just want to try something different, try out the other options listed below the recipe.
Serving Size 2 slices
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 0.7 g
Sodium 207 mg
Total Carbohydrates 5 g
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 1.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Yellow Squash Recipe Variations
This recipe is endlessly versatile since yellow squash doesn’t have a strong flavor and adapts really well to any spices that are added. If you aren’t a curry fan, try these variations instead:
- Use 2 tsp homemade adobo seasoning
- Use 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp sweet chili powder in place of the curry for a Mexican flavor
- Use Jamaican Jerk seasoning in place of the curry powder for a fragrant and delicious alternative
- Toss the olive oil with 1 TBSP sriracha sauce for a sweet and spicy flavor
- Just use a little bit of garlic powder and olive oil for a simple garlic flavor that lets the flavor of the squash shine through
- Top the grilled squash with pasta sauce and cheese and put under the broiler for 2-3 minutes for a pizza flavor
- Toss leftovers into some scrambled eggs or omelet
- Let cool, chop, and serve with mozzarella balls, marinated artichokes hearts (drained), halved baby tomatoes, and finely chopped red onions. Drizzle with homemade Italian dressing for a simple marinated salad.
What vegetables do you most enjoy during the warm spring and summer months? Share some favorites below!