We are big fans of Gelatin at our house and we use it in a lot of different ways. These homemade fruit snacks and homemade marshmallows are the kid-favorites in our house, and I can feel good about giving it to them since it is a source of protein and vitamins.
Just like the chewable vitamins recipe, different vitamins can be added to these to make them even more nutritious. The kombucha adds nutrients as well, making these fruit snacks even healthier.
There are really endless ways this recipe could be adapted, and I’ve included our favorite below. If you experiment with different flavors or combinations, please share them below!
These can be made by pouring in to an oiled container or silicone molds. The molds we have are: assorted geometric shapes, dinosaur molds, bugs and flowers and hearts (and lego and toys but I can’t find those online anymore). The recipe fills about 4-5 of these molds, or a medium baking dish (oiled). If you use a baking dish, just cut the fruit snacks once they gel. If you use the molds, stick them in the fridge to harden and in the freezer for 5 minutes before popping them out to make them come out easier.
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) gelatin powder (I use the one with collagen protein with the green lid from this company)
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup (optional and to taste)
- 2 cups fruit juice OR kombucha OR some other liquid of choice (Here's how to make Kombucha)
- 1 cup defrosted frozen berries, pureed (optional)
- Note: It is important to have all ingredients ready before beginning as you'll need to work quickly once you start.
- Place fruit juice or kombucha and honey/maple syrup in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until warm and starting to simmer but not hot or boiling. Add pureed fruit, if using.
- Start sprinkling gelatin over the juice mixture while whisking or using an immersion blender. Continue doing this until all gelatin is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Adding the gelatin too quickly will make it more difficult to get the mixture to incorporate. An immersion blender is not necessary but greatly speeds up the process.
- As soon as the gelatin is mixed in and the mixture is smooth, pour into molds or a lined/greased baking dish and place in the refrigerator or freezer until hardened.
What is your favorite healthy homemade snack? Ever made any like these? Share below!