We are big fans of gelatin at our house and we use it in a lot of different ways. These homemade fruit snacks and homemade marshmallows are the kid-favorites in our house, and I can feel good about giving it to them since it is a source of protein and vitamins.
Erase the idea of gummy bears as a junky treat from your mind… these homemade fruit snacks look just like them (although their texture is a little softer, like jello) but they’re actually health food!
Healthy Gummy Bears? Yes!
Why make homemade fruit snacks? I can think of three good reasons:
- It’s a really quick and easy recipe (even the kids can do this one themselves)
- They are SO much healthier than store-bought
- They’re really fun to make!
Not only do these fruit snacks have no artificial colors or flavors, they have the gut-soothing benefits and protein of gelatin. The kombucha adds nutrients as well, making these fruit snacks even healthier.
How to Make Homemade Fruit Snacks
Again, this recipe is super simple. All you need is kombucha or fruit juice (100% juice or freshly squeezed), a candy mold, and powdered unflavored gelatin from a good (grass-fed) source.
Heat the juice or kombucha, whisk in the gelatin, pour into molds, and let it set! You’ll have fruit snacks for a crowd in no time.
If you don’t have a mold, an oiled container works in a pinch. Cut gummies into small cubes once set.
The recipe fills about 4-5 of these molds, or a medium baking dish (oiled). If you use a baking dish, just cut the fruit snacks once they gel. If you use the molds, stick them in the refrigerator to firm up. Tip: After they are set, put them in the freezer for 5 minutes to make them come out easier.
There really are endless ways this recipe could be adapted, and I’ve included our favorite below. If you experiment with different flavors or combinations, please share them below!
Homemade Fruit Snacks Recipe
- It is important to have all ingredients ready before beginning as you'll need to work quickly once you start.
- Make sure you are using gelatin, not collagen hydrolysate or peptides as they will not gel. I've also had some feedback that the Great Lakes brand of gelatin doesn't work well in this recipe.
What is your favorite healthy homemade snack? Ever made any like these? Share below!