I’ve written before about how I use soap nuts for laundry, and I’ve gotten several questions since that post about how I also use them for shampoo.
Finding a natural shampoo that works for your hair type can be difficult. Coconut milk based shampoo works great for some people, and some people do great with the no-poo method (not me!). If neither of those has worked for you, this is another that you can try.
According to Mountain Rose Herbs:
Soap nuts are found in both the eastern and western hemispheres, but are native to India and Nepal. They have recently become a popular environmentally friendly alternative to chemical detergent, and are a gentle option for those with allergies to chemicals in regular detergents. They have traditionally been used as an expectorant, and in Ayurvedic medicine as a treatment for eczema and psoriasis. Soap nuts contain saponin, a natural detergent. The soap nut shell absorbs water and releases the saponins which circulate as a natural surfactant in the wash water, freeing dirt, grime, and oils from clothing.
Soap nuts can be used to make a really easy natural shampoo or body wash that is soothing to eczema or psoriasis. Soap nuts shampoo is also incredibly inexpensive to make and completely natural. Tip: If you make a full batch, store in ice cube trays and freeze for individual use sizes or store in a peri bottle in the fridge and just take out when you shower.
If you aren’t up for making it and want a more involved (but still natural) solution, you can buy pre-made Soap Nuts Shampoo.
- 5 soap nuts (available here)
- 3 cups of water
- 5 drops lavender essential oil (optional)
- If you have one, place soap nuts in a small muslin bag.
- Place in a medium saucepan with 2 cups of the water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cook.
- Squeeze out the bag until it suds. Rinse with cool water and squeeze in to the pan again.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge until use.
Have you ever used soap nuts? How did you use them? Tell me below!