I love making natural beauty products as gift ideas. Homemade Lotion Bars are a favorite gift idea since they can be easily customized and are excellent for relatives, friends, pregnant moms, etc.
This new recipe has simliar ingredients to the lotion bars, but removes the beeswax and whips the mixture as it cools to create a cloud-like lotion that is extremely nourishing! This Body Butter is excellent for babies or sensitive skin, and scents can be added to make it a custom gift for anyone (or to keep for yourself!). The combination of shea and cocoa butter with two nourishing oils makes a highly moisturizing combination, but whipping the mix helps it go on smoothly without being oily.
My current favorite is a peppermint scented version for the holidays, but I also like a citrus/lavender combination.
- In a double boiler or glass bowl, combine all ingredients except essential oils.
- Bring to medium heat and stir constantly until all ingredients are melted.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Move to fridge and let cool another 1 hour or until starting to harden but still somewhat soft.
- Use a hand mixer to whip for 10 minutes until fluffy.
- Return to fridge for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Store in a glass jar with a lid and use as you would regular lotion or body butter. If your home stays above 75 degrees, it may soften and need to be kept at the fridge, but it will stay whipped at a temperature lower than that.