I can think of endless uses for these, but these are the one’s I’ve tried so far:
- Adding Vitamin C Powder and using lemon juice to make chewable sour gummies
- Adding probiotics with a fresh juice base to make GAPS friendly chewy vitamins (add probiotics after heating!)
- Using Homemade Elderberry Syrup as a base to make flu-busting chewy vitamins
- Adding Natural Calm for chewable magnesium vitamins
- Just making regular flavors and putting them in cute molds to make gummy snacks that are nut-free and approved for school activities
- I’d love to hear other ideas that you guys think about!
One caution: If your kids aren’t regularly drinking bone broth (they should be!) then start slow and only give them a few of these at a time as their gut adjusts or they might have a little loose stool while they adjust since gelatin has a soothing effect on the digestive system. The advantage to these is that they use gelatin powder as a base so they sooth the gut and give some of the same benefits as bone broth.
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, mix the juice, gelatin and honey and whisk to incorporate.
- Heat slightly until gelatin is completely dissolved- it will be thick and somewhat syrup-like.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vitamins, if using.
- Very quickly pour into molds or even a small glass dish (oil with coconut oil) and put in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden.
- Remove and pop out of molds. Cut into squares if needed.
- Serve and enjoy! Tell the kids that they are gummy bears and they won't even know that are getting vitamins!
Try different flavor and vitamin combinations.
Our favorite fresh juice combinations are mango/orange, lemon/lime (sour) or elderberry syrup as the base.
Ever made your own vitamins or supplements? What combinations would you add? Let me know below!