This was a fun recipe that was born one morning when the kids couldn’t decide if they’d rather have bacon or sausage, and they were tired of our basic scrambled eggs and veggies. This has become a Saturday morning favorite, and there are endless ways to mix it up.
It’s easy to make and a fun way to serve the usual bacon and eggs. The ones I made are just basic sausage, eggs and bacon, but you could add cheese on the top for a more “pizza” texture, and even put salsa on top of the sausage before the eggs for a “sauce.” Any kinds of veggies would also be great toppings and I’m envisioning one topped with feta, asparagus and green onions…
- 1 pound of ground sausage (pastured pork if possible)
- 6 eggs
- 4 slices of bacon
- other optional toppings: salsa, cheese, sliced green onions, finely diced onions, mushrooms, etc
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Divide the pound of sausage into 8 even parts and use a rolling pin or the side of a flat glass to flatten to about ¼ inch and place on baking sheet (you can do this on the baking sheet to make things easier. Put the bacon slices on the baking sheet as well and place the baking sheet in the oven.
- The meat will cook for approximately 10-15 minutes in the oven, so while that is cooking, prepare any additional toppings and scramble the eggs in a pan.
- When sausage and bacon are browned and cooked through, remove from oven.
- Place one sausage “crust” on a plate, top with salsa (if using for sauce), scrambled eggs, chopped bacon, and any other toppings.
- Serve and Enjoy!
What is your favorite creative way to do breakfast? Please share below!