This delicious soup is a fall favorite at our house. The kids love its bright color and sweet flavor, and it is usually an appetizer at Thanksgiving too! This is also part of my meal plan of healthy Thanksgiving recipes with free menu plan and shopping list.
Butternut Squash Soup is one of my fall favorites. It is naturally sweet and filling, but also naturally healthy! Butternut squash is a highly nutritious and inexpensive fall vegetable and can also be used for stir frys, roasted vegetable medleys and more.
- Cut top and bottom off of butternut squash and use knife to carefully cut remaining skin off.
- Cut in half and scoop out seeds (they are great roasted!)
- Chop squash into small cubes and dice onion.
- In a large stock pot, melt the butter and add diced onion.
- Saute 3 minutes until starting to soften and add squash.
- Saute an additional 5 minutes until squash starts to brown.
- Add coconut milk, stock, and spices and bring to simmer.
- Simmer about 20 minutes until soft.
- Use a blender or hand blender to puree until smooth.
- Serve warm or make ahead to reheat for a fast meal addition.