Eggnog is a delicious holiday treat, but store bought versions often contain pasteurized ingredients, tremendous amounts of sweeteners and other additives. This traditional homemade egg nog recipe is a great source of beneficial fats, protein, spices and optional warmth from the alcohol.
Coconut Milk Eggnog Recipe
Eggnog can almost be a health food when made traditionally (and the alcohol is completely optional in this recipe). The base is coconut milk, which contains many of the benefits of coconut, especially the beneficial medium chain fatty acids.
The addition of Rum or Brandy makes this also a keep-a-smile-on-your-face-because-the-kids-get-to-stay-up-past-midnight-on-Christmas-Eve beverage.
I’ve never been a huge fan of store bought egg nog, but I really like this recipe. Try it! You might too!
Dairy-free Coconut Milk Eggnog Recipe (With or Without Alcohol)
Dairy Free Egg Nog that can be made with the alcohol or without for a delicious treat!
- How To Make (Easy Version)
- Put all ingredients except alcohol in Vitamix or high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- SLOWLY bring up to low heat in a medium saucepan, being careful not to let it boil. When it is warmed and barely starting to thicken, it is ready.
- Chill in fridge for a few hours or overnight and whisk alcohol in just before serving.
- How To Make (Traditional Way)
- Heat coconut milk and vanilla until warm in medium saucepan.
- Whisk or blend the egg yolks, sugar and spices in a blender.
- Slowly add in about half of the coconut mixture to the egg yolks to warm it and then add the whole mixture back into the saucepan.
- Bring up to low heat and whisk until barely starting to thicken.
- Stir in rum or brandy and serve hot or cold.
What’s your favorite holiday beverage? Share below!