Corned beef and cabbage is a favorite of mine, (as it is for most Americans of Irish decent) and a tradition on St. Patrick’s day. It can also be a healthy meal any time of year.
Store bought corned beef has added nitrites and chemicals, but making a homemade version is a tasty and easy option, as long as you have enough time. Once you have the corned beef, the actual dish takes virtually no time to put together!
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Ingredients:
- 3-4 lb corned beef brisket
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- pepper to taste
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- spices to taste
- Put corned beef in crock pot for 8 hours on low heat with garlic, pepper and enough water to just cover meat.
- About half an hour before beef is done, slice carrots, onion, garlic and cabbage.
- Saute onions, garlic and carrots in butter in large skillet until somewhat soft
- Add cabbage and spices and cook until soft. Add a little corned beef water from the crockpot if it starts to get dry.
- Serve the corned beef over the cabbage.
Ever made your own corned beef & cabbage before?