Let’s face it: everything tastes better wrapped in bacon! These salmon cakes are a fast recipe and an easy way to make canned salmon gourmet. The kids even liked these and they are good cold for lunch the next day.
- 2 pounds of wild caught fresh, frozen or 2 cans wild caught salmon
- 1 package of bacon
- ¼ cup very finely diced onion
- ¼ cup very finely diced bell pepper (optional)
- 2 minced garlic cloves or garlic powder
- 3 T parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp mustard (Dijon is best)
- spices of choice (I use salt, pepper, garlic, and herb blend)
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 yellow squash or zucchini
- 1 onion
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook salmon in skillet (heat canned salmon if using to cook off the juice) You want it to be flaky and have no extra juice
- Let salmon cool while dicing onion, garlic, bell pepper, etc
- Mix cooled salmon with onion, bell pepper, garlic, parmesan, egg, mustard and spices to make a thick mixture
- Cut bacon slices in half. Lay bacon slices on buttered cookie sheet with rim. Use your hand to scoop about ¼ cup of salmon mixture and roll into a ball. Wrap the bacon around the salmon and pin with toothpick (not necessary, but makes eating easier)
- Place on cookie sheet and repeat until all salmon mixture is used up.
- Place into oven and cook about 15-20 minutes until cooked through and until bacon is crispy.
- While those are cooking, sauté peeled and sliced squash/zucchini and onion into skillet with butter and spices and cook until soft.
- Boil asparagus for 2-3 minutes, remove from water and sauté with butter and spices (garlic and salt) in same skillet (get squash mix out first) for 1 minute or so.
What is your favorite salmon recipe? Let me know below!