Stuffed Bell Peppers are an easy recipe, especially during the summer when peppers are in season. We usually make this with red bell peppers, but any color will work.
For kids who don’t like bell peppers, just bake some of the filling in muffin tins and top with cheese and guacamole (and check out this post with some suggestions for helping kids learn to love healthy foods)
This recipe is gluten free, grain free, dairy free and low carb. If you tolerate dairy, it is delicious served with a side of sour cream or topped with cheese. Leftovers are delicious chopped up in an omelet the next day and it tastes really good cold too, so I often make these in bulk and pack them for lunches when we are on the go.
If you are a bell pepper fan like I am, you might also love these Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Peppers as well.
- At least 2 Bell peppers (any color)- I suggest making 4 for leftovers
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped, or garlic powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes (or 1 fresh diced)
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 raw eggs
- Spices of choice (I used cumin, chili, garlic, salt, pepper, cilantro, etc)
- Avocado or pre-made guacamole
- Salad or veggie of choice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Brown meat in large skillet, add onion and garlic and cook 4 minutes, add zucchini and cook another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add tomatoes, spices and eggs and mix well
- Cut tops off peppers but keep them. Scoop out seeds and spoon meat mixture into peppers (if you are only making 2, you will have extra meat, just make into meat type balls and cook with it)
- Bake in oven 30-40 minutes in glass baking dish until well heated and peppers are slightly browned. Keep an eye on them, this can happen fast.
- Top with guacamole and serve with salad.
Ever made stuffed bell peppers? What do you add to yours?