‘Tis the season for soup. Even though we’ve moved to where it doesn’t get that cold, our family still eats a lot of soups. They’re yummy, nourishing, and perfect when cooler weather hits. This creamy potato soup made in the Instant Pot is no exception.
Delicious soup is the perfect comfort food and it’s even easier when we pressure cook it in the Instant Pot. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, then this will also work on the stovetop or slow cooker too. It makes a great, hearty side dish, or add some ham or chicken for a full meal. This is a meal that even my picky eaters like!
How to Make Instant Pot Potato Soup
This creamy soup tastes like a loaded baked potato soup recipe from certain restaurants. I’ve cleaned up the ingredients list a little bit though. Instead of russet potatoes, I prefer to use red or gold-skinned potatoes. They have a creamier, less starchy taste and are the best potato for this soup in my opinion. If you only have regular russets on hand, then that will work too.
Most potato soup recipes have dairy in them and I’ve included it in this one. The creamy whole milk and sour cream add a rich flavor (instead of heavy cream). If you need a vegan, dairy-free option, then canned coconut milk can work instead of milk and sour cream. It definitely won’t have the same cheesy taste though.
Plus the soup is naturally gluten-free and grain-free for those avoiding grains.
Thick, Potato Soup
The cooked potatoes help thicken the soup without needing to add a cornstarch slurry. Some recipes for Instant Pot potato soup call for a potato masher or immersion blender to give it a chunky/creamy consistency. I’ve just kept things simple and let the sour cream and potatoes thicken the broth.
How to Make Potato Soup on the Stove or Slow Cooker
No Instant Pot? No worries! You can easily make this soup on the stovetop or in the crockpot. For the stove, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil. Then stir in the broth and potatoes and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Next, stir in the milk, sour cream, and cream cheese. Finish it up by stirring in the shredded cheese.
For the slow cooker option, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil on the stove, then add them to the slow cooker. If you don’t want to bother with sauteeing, you can also just add the garlic and onion to the other soup ingredients. However, the extra step gives the veggies some great flavor!
Add in the broth and potatoes and cook on low for about 4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the milk, sour cream, and cream cheese, then add in the shredded cheese.
Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 medium onions (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 10 medium Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes (peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes)
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 8 slices bacon (cooked and chopped)
- sliced green onions
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn on the saute setting on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the diced onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes until just starting to brown.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for another minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, diced potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Put on the pressure cooker lid and set the vent to “sealing.”
- Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for five minutes and then do a quick release.
- Open the lid and stir in the milk, sour cream, and cream cheese.
- When smooth, stir in the shredded cheese and stir until just melted.
- Serve, topping with desired garnishes.
- To make on the stovetop: Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil. Then stir in the broth and potatoes and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Stir in the milk, sour cream, and cream cheese. Then stir in the shredded cheese.
- Add leftover chicken or ham for an even heartier soup.
More Easy Instant Pot Soup Recipes
What’s your favorite comfort food soup? Leave a comment and let me know!
Discussion (2 Comments)
This potato soup is so good! Great flavor and it’s nice and creamy. Left overs are good too! My husband and son really enjoyed it. I made it a few weeks ago and am going to make it again for New Year Eve. When I make it this time I will add some ham to the soup. I also made it in my Instant Pot.
This was DELICIOUS!
Thanks for the recipe!