There’s nothing I love more than soup on a chilly night! This chicken taco soup is the perfect way to mix things up when you need a break from the Tuesday Taco Night routine, and bonus — most of it can come from your pantry and freezer for a quick emergency meal, but still be healthy!
Chicken Taco Soup From Scratch
We’ve all heard of enchilada soup or Mexican soup, but taco soup? My kids dubbed this one, and it makes sense since it contains almost all of the ingredients you’d use to make tacos but in a base of rich bone broth.
I also use my homemade taco seasoning (here’s the recipe to make it in bulk) so I can adjust the spice to the kids’ tastes and make it a crowd pleaser! (I just shake a little extra heat onto mine.)
There are many ways to make this chicken taco soup, depending on whether you’re home that night or have an Instant Pot or slow cooker. A good old fashioned pot of soup on the stove works just as well and also can be ready in 30 minutes or less!
Adapting for Dairy Free, Grain Free
Avoiding corn? Skipping beans? Feel free to customize this recipe to your heart’s content. Here are some healthy swaps that have worked well when we need dietary flexibility:
- Lightly saute diced zucchini and carrots and add in place of corn and beans (it’s still colorful and tasty)
- Use cassava chips from Thrive Market in place of corn chips
- Top with plenty of sliced avocado to replace the richness of cheese
- Use coconut milk Greek yogurt in place of sour cream
How to Store and Freeze
Mom tip: Double or triple this batch of soup! Leftovers can be frozen for another meal (minus toppings) in a mason jar or bag of choice.
Other Healthy Soup Recipes to Try
If you love this soup, try these other cold-weather favorites:
- One-Pot Tomato Cabbage Soup
- The Best Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe (+ Variations)
- Indian Mulligatawny Soup (Gluten-Free, Dairy Optional)
- Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Soup)
- Easy Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
For the Soup:
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 15 oz black beans (canned, or 2 cups cooked black beans)
- 15 oz organic whole kernel corn (canned, drained or 2 cups frozen)
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 20 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies (canned, undrained)
- 3 TBSP taco seasoning
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 6 TBSP sour cream
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup organic tortilla chips (crushed)
- 1 bunch cilantro (chopped)
- 1 bunch green onions (chopped)
- Add onion, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, diced tomatoes, and taco seasoning to a slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breasts on top and push down until mostly submerged in the mixture.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours (or high for 2-3 hours, but the flavor won’t be as good).
- Remove the chicken breasts from the soup and shred.
- Add the chicken back to the pot.
- To serve, top with optional toppings.
Do you make a version of this chicken taco soup? Please share your kid-approved version!
Discussion (2 Comments)
So good! Even made it for staff who begged for recipe!
I’m surprised you have corn and let alone don’t say organic.