I’ve wanted to interview Dr. Valter Longo for years, and today I finally get to! In this episode, we explore all things fasting — one of my favorite health topics — and especially the fasting mimicking diet, a precise system of fasting that he invented. In fact, his diet was granted one of the only patents in healthcare on promoting longevity and healthspan as well as treating diabetes.
Dr. Longo received his Ph.D. in Biochemistry from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in 1997 and his postdoctoral training in the Neurobiology of Aging and Alzheimer’s Diseases at USC. He currently is the director of the Longevity Institute and professor of gerontology and biological sciences at the University of Southern California. He has made tremendous contributions in research related to longevity, aging, fasting, and metabolic disease. TIME Magazine has called him the Longevity Guru and named him one of the top 50 influential people in health, and I agree!
Episode Highlights With Valter Longo
- What we mean when we talk about fasting, and the different types
- Why a lengthy water fast may not be the most effective way to fast (and can in fact be dangerous)
- How fasting protects normal cells from cancer
- What recent research shows about using chemotherapy and the fasting mimicking diet together as cancer treatment
- The best amount of protein to eat each day for longevity
- How Dr. Longo defines healthspan (and why it’s disappearing)
- Simple changes to make to what you eat and when that will make a big difference in weight and overall health
- Why to try a fasting mimicking diet (and how often)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- ProlonFMD (Dr. Longo’s fasting program)
- The Longevity Diet by Dr. Valter Longo
- The Valter Longo Foundation
More From Wellness Mama
- 201: Understanding Fasting & Keto for Women (Even During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding) + Instant Pot Tips
- 134: Five Benefits of Fasting, Autophagy, Diet Variation & Cellular Healing with Dr. Daniel Pompa
- 210: Why Most Detox Methods Are Dangerous & What to Do Instead With Dr. Shayne Morris
- 26: Fasting for Women & Music Therapy
- Can Intermittent Fasting (Skipping Meals) Make You Healthier?
- Reasons to Stop Eating at Night
- Water Fasting Benefits, Dangers, & My Personal Experience
Have you tried a fasting mimicking diet? Are there other questions about fasting you’d like me to tackle here on the podcast? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Alitura Naturals skincare. You guys loved the founder, Andy, when he came on this podcast to talk about his own skin healing journey after a tragic accident that caused massive scarring on his face. From this experience he developed some of the most potent and effective natural skin care options from serums to masks and the results are visible in his perfectly clear skin that is free of scars! I love the mask and use it a couple times a week, and often use the gold serum at night to nourish my skin while I sleep. All of their products have super clean ingredients and they really work! Andy is absolutely dedicated to creating the highest quality products possible and it shows. Check them out at alituranaturals.com/wellnessmama and use the discount code WELLNESS to get 20% off.
This episode is sponsored by Just Thrive probiotics. I found this company when searching for the most research backed and effective probiotic available and I was blown away at the difference in their products! They offer two cornerstone products that are both clinically studied and highly effective. The first is their probiotic, which has been clinically studied to help with leaky gut and to survive up to 1,000 times as much as other probiotics or the beneficial organisms in something like Greek yogurt for instance. The difference is, their spore-based strains work completely differently than other types of probiotics. Also, this probiotic is vegan, dairy free, histamine free, non-GMO, and is made without soy, dairy, sugar, salt, corn, tree nuts or gluten—so it’s safe for practically everyone. I even sprinkle it in my kids’ food and bake it into products since it can survive at up to 400 degrees! Their probiotic contains a patented strain called Bacillus Indicus HU36®, which produces antioxidants in the digestive system where they can be easily absorbed by body. Their other product is a K2-7, and this nutrient—you may have heard of it—is known as the “Activator X,” the super-nutrient studied by Weston A. Price, a dentist known primarily for his theories on the relationship between nutrition, good health, bone development, and oral health. He found this prevalent in foods in the healthiest communities in the world. Their K2 is the only pharmaceutical grade, all-natural supplement with published safety studies. Like the probiotic, this is also gluten, dairy, soy, nut, and GMO-free. Both are best taken with food so I keep both on the table. My dad has trouble remembering to take supplements so he taped them to the pepper shaker, which he uses daily, and they’re now on his daily list as well. Check them out at justthrivehealth.com/wellnessmama and use the code WELLNESSMAMA15 to save 15%!