It’s no secret that our bodies are exposed daily to more chemicals and negative inputs than previous generations, by a large margin. Enter Dr. Shayne Morris, a biochemist and molecular biologist whose life’s work is how the body can achieve detox and rid itself of toxins at a cellular level.
Today, Dr. Morris will explain the biochemical channels that allow the body to detoxify, in a way we can understand, and why something called the endoplasmic reticulum is key to the whole process. I think this episode is going to dispel a lot of potentially dangerous misinformation on the topic of detoxification and really change how we think about supporting our body’s natural detox abilities.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Shayne Morris
- Why present-day chemical exposure is unprecedented in human history
- Whether fasting, smoothie diets, and other popular at-home detoxes really work
- The difference between detox at a cellular level and more surface level systems
- The 3 key phases of detoxification, and what the body does at each step
- Why constant plastic exposure is harming us
- How metals can be harmful and how we have to treat them differently than other things we detox from
- Where mold and other natural toxins come in to play
- The “waste treatment plant” of your cell and how to activate it
- What zeolite is and why it can be so beneficial
- Why the smooth endoplasmic reticulum is so important to true detoxification
- How supplements like chlorella, chlorophyll, and glutathione can help
- And more!
Resources We Mention
Learn more about Dr. Shayne Morris, his work, and the detox program he recommends at GetCytoHere.com
- 134: Five Benefits of Fasting, Autophagy, Diet Variation & Cellular Healing with Dr. Daniel Pompa
- The Wellness Mama 5-Step Lifestyle Detox Book
More From Wellness Mama
- 239: How Biological Medicine Is Changing Health (& How to Try It in Switzerland!)
- 201: Understanding Fasting & Keto for Women (Even During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding) + Instant Pot Tips
- 113: Toxic Metals That Cause Fatigue and How to Detox Them
- 67: Easy Everyday Detox Tips with Megan the Detoxinista
- 146: Is Chiropractic Safe and How to Detox Safely with Dr. Hardick
- The Dangers of Plastic
- How to Detox Heavy Metals Safely (& Get More Energy)
- Chlorella Benefits & Uses (and When It Can Be Dangerous)
- The Master Antioxidant: Glutathione
- Intermittent Fasting: Can Skipping Meals Make You Healthier?
- My Experience With Water Fasting & Why I’ll Do It Again
The detoxification that’s been sensationalized are things like the 24-hour detox, or the “take this drink for 7 days and you’re gonna be better.” And I’m here to tell you that, to do true detoxification, you have to really work your way out of it like any other truly beneficial process, whether it be getting yourself to a healthy glycemic position, getting your cognitive function back to normal, getting your liver back in check, and so on. These are very, very difficult yet accomplishable tasks and we have to take them seriously because we now know there are ways to do this and it certainly shouldn’t be this get-fixed-quick scheme.
Have you ever tried a detox? Did it seem to help? Please post your questions and comments or leave a review on iTunes so we know what to cover next on the podcast!
Many Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. If you’ve tried their delicious coffees and elixirs you know just how delicious they are, and if you haven’t, you are missing out! They create superfood mushroom drinks that are easy to incorporate into your life. Their coffee packets, for instance, are easy to mix into hot or cold liquid, taste amazing and have the added benefit of mushrooms like lion’s Mane, chaga and cordyceps to give your brain an extra boost. Studies continually show the benefits of these superfood medicinal mushrooms for brain health, immune health, and so much more. My favorite is the coffee with lion’s mane in the morning for a smooth boost without the jitters of regular coffee and reishi in the evening for amazing sleep. During the day, I’ll often add in a cup of chaga or cordyceps for the immune and focus benefits. You can check out all Four Sigmatic products at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and save 15% with the code WELLNESSMAMA
This episode is brought to you by SteadyMD, the new way I’ve been working with my primary doctor. Think about this…. We text our friends, our family, even our babysitters whenever we need them, so why do we go sit in an office for hours to wait to talk to our doctor when we have a 5-minute question? That’s why I’m so excited about SteadyMD, the revolutionary new company changing the way patients interact with their doctors. They have a network of specialized doctors that have a background in everything from functional medicine to thyroid care and many other conditions so they can work with you. They also now have a pediatric add-on that means I can text or video chat with my doctor whenever one of my kids is sick or gets a scrape or bee sting to see if it needs more medical attention. I have my own doctor who has a limited number of patients (much less than most doctors) and is available via text at all times. He also already knows my medical history and things like how I avoid antibiotics if at all possible. I really think this is the future of healthcare and it has been awesome for our family. Check them out and learn more at steadymd.com/wm