In this episode, Katie talks to Sundaily founders Chris Tolles and Dr. Emilia Javorsky about how to protect your skin and slow aging from the inside out all with the help of a little-known substance called polypodium leucotomos. They delve into the role of antioxidants and which ones work, why sunscreen isn’t the only answer (and sometimes isn’t even a good one), and much more.
A quick FYI, when we recorded this episode, they were Sundots, but they’ve renamed the company since… so don’t be surprised! The only thing that has changed is their name!
- What polypodium leucotomos is and how studies show it can protect skin
- The way vitamin D deficiency fits into the sun exposure equation
- How internal sun exposure works and how to optimize it
- The problems with many sunscreens and what to look for in a healthy one
- What UVA and UVB are and how they are different
- The false safety net that comes with many sunscreens
- What the research says about how to protect skin from the inside out against sun damage and aging
- How antioxidants in food and supplements may help protect the skin
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- PuraThrive Vitamin C
- EverlyWell Vitamin D Test
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (going on my Christmas gift list!)
- The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell
More From Wellness Mama
- 301: How to Use Light to Drastically Improve Health With Matt Maruca
- 245: Ari Whitten on Fighting Fatigue and Anxiety With Sauna, Hormesis, NRF2 & Sun Exposure
- Ascorbic Acid: Vitamin C Benefits, Sources & Cautions
- Natural Homemade Sunscreen Recipe
- Why I Eat My Sunscreen to Protect Skin From the Inside Out
- Benefits of Safe Sun Exposure for Reduced Cancer Risk (& Vitamin D)
- Why (Most) Sunscreen Is Harmful
- Benefits of Green Tea
Your turn! Which camp are you in… sun-shy or sun-seeker? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Organifi and I’m so excited to tell you about them! Here’s a confession… I’ve known about them for a long time and even though so many of my friends and experts I trust rave about them, I never tried their stuff until recently because I thought… how can it actually be that good? Well, I tried it and it turns out that it is not only that good, it’s even better! Organifi has green juice, red juice (which is an antioxidant red drink that is delicious) and a golden milk turmeric drink, along with a plant-based protein shake. They are all organic and they actually taste good, unlike a lot of other green drinks and protein powders. I’ve especially been loving their red juice lately… it tastes amazing and has a blend of antioxidants from strawberries, cranberries, blueberries and pomegranates along with beets, cordyceps, reishi, rhodiola, and more. This particular blend is formulated to increase energy, boost metabolism and reduce factors that lead to aging. Their green juice is minty and delicious and has almost 800 5-star reviews… You can check it out, along with their whole suite of products and save 20% by going to https://organifi.com/wellnessmama with coupon code WELLNESS20.
This episode is sponsored by Four Sigmatic, a company whose delicious drink mixes I use daily in some form. I’ve been fascinated lately by the benefits of medicinal mushrooms like chaga, which has more antioxidants gram for gram than anything else on the planet, cordyceps which is great for the immune system, reishi which helps promote restful sleep, and lion’s mane which is thought to promote focus and brain health. Four Sigmatic takes these superfood mushrooms and blends them with coffee for a brain-boosting jitter-free morning drink. They also have a line of delicious elixirs that are caffeine free and great for any time of the day. I almost always end my day with a warm cup of their reishi, which makes a noticeable difference in my sleep quality and I often begin the morning with a cup of the coffee with lion’s mane. My kids love their superfood hot cocoa and I love that the reishi helps promote calm and sleep! You can check out all Four Sigmatic products at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and save 15% with the code wellnessmama.