Today’s topic is hard to talk about but super important. Kelli Houghton is a social worker and manager of a non-profit group called Operation Underground Railroad, an organization doing incredible work rescuing and advocating for children who are victims of sex trafficking.
As a mom this issue hits home hard, and I’m so grateful Kelli is here to share what we can do to take action against this horrifying practice.
Operation Underground Railroad: Why Slavery Isn’t a Thing of the Past
Kidnapping and sexual trafficking are huge fears for many parents. It can be paralyzing even. We wonder… what are the actual statistics? Can I let my child play outside? Ride a bike to the park? Go into a store alone?
Kelli shares what Operation Underground Railroad is doing to rescue children all over the globe. She also gives some actionable, practical ways to keep our kids safe while still letting them have a full and active life.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- how many children are trafficked each year
- strategies that traffickers use to target kids
- the addictive effects of pornography, and what it has to do with trafficking
- the most risky place for sex trafficking (it isn’t where you think)
- practical steps to keep kids safe
- what to be aware of on social media
- what Operation Underground Railroad (and others) are doing to rescue kids, and how you can help
Resources We Mention
- Operation Underground Railroad
- Fight the New Drug
- FREE: Signs of Trafficking Online Training Course
- Human Trafficking Is a Public Health Issue (textbook Kelli mentions)
- Human Trafficking Center Hotline — 888-373-7888 (add to your contacts!)
More From Wellness Mama
- 119: Cyber Security Tips to Keep Your Family Safer Online
- 225: How a New SafetyPin Technology Can Keep Your Family Safer
- Overprotected Childhood: How Keeping Kids Safe is Actually Harming Them
What questions do you have for Kelli? Let me know in a comment below, or leave a review on iTunes. I read each and every one, and my guests often do too and might answer your questions!
Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Plant Therapy. I’m often asked where I get my essential oils, and Plant Therapy is my go-to place these days. They offer many certified organic essential oils, including many kid-safe blends at really affordable prices. I also love that they offer bigger sizes of many oils so I can order our favorites in 100-milliliter bottles and they last longer, and then I throw fewer bottles in the recycling each month.
Many of you also know that not all essential oils are safe to use on babies and small children, and that certain dilution ratios should always be followed. Plant Therapy takes the research and guesswork out of this, since they work with Robert Tisserand, who is the author of “Essential Oil Safety,” to make sure that all of their kid-safe oils are truly safe for kids. They are offering a 10% discount to Wellness Mama listeners and you can grab the discount by using the code WELLNESS10, all one word, WELLNESS10, at wellnessmama.com/go/pt.
This podcast is brought to you by Nutrition Genome. The most comprehensive genetic analysis on the market, Nutrition Genome covers 85+ clinically relevant genes across all of the major biochemical pathways. The test also includes a 50+ page report that really goes in-depth and gives feedback on your personal gene function and how to enhance your own gene expression. The analysis also provides foods that are best to emphasize and minimize, talks about toxins you’re more likely to be sensitive to, your genetic stress response, and even recommended blood work to optimize your genetic blueprint for long-lasting health and longevity. This testing doesn’t have the privacy concerns that some of the other popular genetic tests have, and we just did this with all our children. The results have been really helpful for customizing their diets and supplements. You can check it out and learn more and get the test at wellnessmama.com/go/nutrition-genome.