I may be a “Wellness Mama” but I’m certainly not a doctor, so I’m always happy to have one on the show! Dr. Ken Brown is a practicing gastroenterologist and expert on the issue my readers ask about most often: gut health. (Or more precisely, the lack thereof … )
Enter Dr. Ken Brown. In 2015 he created Atrantíl (pronounced “Ah-tran-TEAL”), a targeted and clinically studied natural supplement that addresses SIBO, IBS, leaky gut, and other digestive problems.
We’ve had a little experience with how tough it can be to rehabilitate gut health from my husband’s bout with SIBO post-surgery (more about that in the podcast). I can’t wait to find out more about this treatment option and hear Dr. Ken’s protocol for healing the gut.
A Prescription for Good Gut Health from Dr. Ken Brown
Dr. Ken shared with me the shocking statistic that 20% of the general population today suffers from IBS. Add to this other gut conditions like Leaky Gut Syndrome, SIBO, Crohn’s, and all the digestive complaints that haven’t been diagnosed and are truly uncomfortable.
But it’s not just comfort that’s at stake. Dr. Ken kicks off our conversation with a statement that couldn’t be more true:
a) All heath begins in the gut, and
b) All disease is the result of inflammation.
With this in mind, there’s really no topic more important to our health than the gut microbiome. Dr. Ken’s research really bridges the gap between natural and traditional medicine, which is so needed.
Let’s find out what he has to say!
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- how to help stop chronic, uncomfortable gas and bloating (you really don’t have to live with it!)
- why Dr. Ken started to look outside of the mainstream medical model for more natural approaches to gut health
- the science behind how the gut bacteria becomes imbalanced in the first place
- the scoop on what we’ve been going through with my husband post-surgery, and Dr. Ken’s thoughts
- whether IBS and other gut conditions are really in your gut … or in your head
- how the medical view of IBS and related symptoms has evolved in the last 10 years
- which factors make someone more likely to experience poor gut health
- all about Atrantíl, a promising new natural supplement for digestive distress, and how it’s different from typical digestive treatments
- polyphenols: what they are and how to get more in your diet
- whether or not probiotics are actually good for everyone to take (the answer might surprise you)
- exactly what SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth is (and what it’s not too)
- the connection between poor gut health and colon cancer
- what protocol Dr. Ken would recommend for someone trying to rehabilitate digestively
- 3 areas of Dr. Ken’s research people tend to misunderstand
- and some geeky health talk about one of my favorite subjects, natural supplements we’ve tried and love
Resources We Mention
Read about Dr. Ken’s practice at KennethBrownMD.com
More From Wellness Mama
- 208: Understanding Superbugs & Antibiotic Resistance With Marjory Wildcraft
- Can Probiotics Improve Your Brain?
- FODMAP and IBS: A Scientific Solution
- Do You Have a Stinking Gut? (And Why You Should Want One)
What about you? Do you have digestive complaints? What questions would you ask Dr. Ken Brown?
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
Today’s podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve probably seen me mention them before. I have been using and loving and Instagramming their products for years. They have an amazing instant mushroom coffee.
I know it sounds weird, but hear me out! It’s not only the best instant coffee I’ve ever tried, it’s also pretty high up on the list of best coffee I’ve tried, period! It’s made with superfood mushrooms like Lion’s Mane, Cordyceps, and Chaga mushrooms. And these mushrooms have some big health benefits, plus give you energy and mental clarity without the jitters from traditional coffee.
If you aren’t a caffeine person, they also have a variety of mushroom teas and other caffeine-free products. I love them so much that I reached out and they agreed to give a discount to my listeners. So, go to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and use the code “WellnessMama” to get 10% off.
This episode is sponsored by Kettle and Fire Bone Broth. If you love the benefits of bone broth but don’t love the time it takes to make and how tough it can be to find quality bones to make it, Kettle and Fire is for you! Their bone broth is a regular staple in my kitchen these days, and it was what I used to create the recipes in my new bone broth e-book (releasing later this year).
So they use only bones from 100% grass-fed pasture raised cattle that are never given hormones and antibiotics. It’s also unique because they focus on bones that are especially high in collagen, which is one of the healthiest things you can put in your body. You can find them in many Whole Foods on the west coast and you can also order online at Kettleandfire.com/mama.