Today’s episode is something I only dreamed about years ago when I started a little blog on the subject of natural health. Today I am honored to have two amazing and highly qualified researchers on the show to talk to us about glyphosate and GMOs and why their presence in our food might be at fault for a host of health problems affecting our children today.
Good news: what this episode isn’t is another GMO piece full of fear and hype. It is based on clinical research (in animals, not on humans yet). Better yet, it offers suggestions for what we as moms can do about it.
What the Research Says About Glyphosate … And Why It Might Be Ruining Our Kids’ Health
Michelle Perro, MD, and Vincanne Adams, PhD, are basically a dream team on the topic of industrialized food and how it may be connected to chronic childhood illness.
Michelle is a pediatrician with over 35 years of experience in acute integrative medicine. Vincanne is professor and vice chair of medical anthropology at the University of California, San Francisco, not to mention editor of the Medical Anthropology Quarterly. (Again, pinching myself to make sure this is real!)
In 2017 Michelle and Vincanne wrote an incredible book called What’s Making Our Children Sick?: How Industrial Food Is Causing an Epidemic of Chronic Illness, and What Parents (and Doctors) Can Do About It to lay out their case.
If you have a child with chronic symptoms, or if you’ve ever wondered whether organic food is worth it or why so many packages at the store say “non-GMO,” this episode is for you!
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- the troubling trends Michelle started to observe in her patients … and what she did about it
- why Vincanne agreed to get on board (even though she was a skeptic at first)
- the rising rates of chronic childhood illnesses like constipation, food allergies, seasonal allergies, ADHD, asthma, autism (and the list goes on)
- how glyphosate works, what it’s made of, and why farmers use it
- why crossbreeding hybrid plants is NOT the same thing as genetic modification
- how asthma, allergies and eczema are rising at drastic rates (as much as 40% of children may be affected)
- 3 reasons glyphosate may be a serious problem (and what the most recent research is finding)
- whether or not organic food is actually worth the extra money
- practical things that we can do to change the food future and protect our kids (and the environment!)
- and more
Are you concerned about GMOs? Why or why not? Please share in the comments or leave me a review on iTunes. I read each and every comment, and my guests often do too and might answer your questions!
Resources We Mention
- Michelle Perro and Vincanne Adams, What’s Making Our Children Sick? How Industrial Food Is Causing an Epidemic of Chronic Illness, and What Parents (and Doctors) Can Do About It (2017)
- 14 Stage Water Filter
- The Best Water Filter For Home Use (Pitcher, Charcoal, Under-Counter)
- The Best Under-Counter Water Filter (Review)
- Natural Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner (That Works!)
- 19 Natural Cleaning Tips (+ Easy Recipes)
- Kids Cook Real Food Course
Related Episodes & Reading
- 56: Teaching Kids to Cook Real Food
- 92: A Holistic Pediatrician Talks Ear Infections, Fevers, & Vaccines
- 35: GMOs & How to Test for Glyphosate
- 25: Autoimmunity, GMOs & Food as Medicine
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by MyoBuddy. This thing is one of my daily ways to relax because it combines the benefits of infrared heat, percussive massage, and vibrational therapy for what I can only describe as a mixture of deep tissue massage and myofascial release all in one device. It has really reduced my muscle tension and my need for massage. Athletes use it for faster recovery and many people with conditions like MS or chronic fatigue use this for muscle relief. Find out more at Myobuddy.com and be sure to use the code MAMA18 to get $100 off!
This episode is also sponsored by Four Sigmatic. If you’re a coffee love like me Four Sigmatic is a must! Their coffees, teas, and hot chocolates are delicious combinations of coffee, cocoa, and adaptogen herbs, now with the benefits of Chaga, Cordyceps, and Lion’s Mane mushrooms for an extra brain boost and clean energy. (Yep, mushrooms!) All their blends taste amazing and they have caffeine-free one too. Try out all of these delicious drinks at FourSigmatic.com/wellnessmama and make sure to use the code WELLNESS MAMA to get 15% off of your order.